Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2005, 04:44 PM   #1
RERICK

Range Bag

Any thoughts on a good range bag for say 1 or 2 pistols and or revolvers?:
Old December 30, 2005, 05:35 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I just went thru this!

I really wanted something like the range bag that Dillon Precision offers, but not at the $70 price tag.

I went to Target last week and found a soft-sided tackle box for fishing. It can hold up to 3 handguns (including my redhawk .44 as one of them), a small toolkit or cleaning kit, and up to maybe 500 rounds of centerfire pistol ammo. It has external compartments around 3 sides of it, so you can put 9mm in one pocket, .22 in another and .44 in a third. Or whatever your poison is.

My ear protection loops around the carrying strap and my eye protection is inside the bag too. All I gotta carry are my targets.

It cost me $20.
Old December 30, 2005, 06:16 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

yeah, soft-sided tackle box or $20 canvas tool bag from Lowe's, etc. Or you can spend 3-5 times a much for a less durable bag. But it will have been made FOR the range. :P
Old December 31, 2005, 02:50 AM   #4
LoadIt

I use a camcorder bag from the 1980's. One of the BIG camcorders. The bag holds lots of ammo and three pistols. There is also lots of room for cleaning supplies and tools. I think it was origionally urchased at K-Mart. I do like the idea of the tool bag though.
Old January 1, 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
choochboost

the mother of all range bags

I can't say enough about my range bag from "Kickin' A Packs 'N Stuff". I looked at bags with better known brand names but they could not compare. Not only is this the best bag out there but it is by far the best value. This bag comes with a lifetime guarantee and is a very durable bag made of heavy duty nylon. It comes in 2 sizes - medium or large. I have the medium bag. The whole top zips back making the interior easily accesible. It features dual lockable heavy duty zippers throughout, interior padded lockable pistol pockets (you can buy additional padded lockable pistol inserts for your growing pistol collection), bottom of the bag is constructed with a hard plate surrounded by padding making it handle the weight of multiple handguns and boxes of ammo well, 4 exterior dual zippered lockable pockets, comfortable adjustable shoulder strap, 10 magazine sleeves which can also be used for a cell phone, HKS speedloaders, etc (the large bag has 14 magazine sleeves), I even love the fact that the interior of the bag is red which makes it easier to find stuff when you're at a dimly lit indoor range. I paid over $30 at a gun show for mine but I see that you can get the medium bag on sale online right now for $17.49!!! I am not affiliated with this company, I am only a satisfied customer recommending what I use as opposed to just name brands I'm familiar with. You can learn more about them or purchase one here: https://www.tommysgunpack.com/Produc...?ProductCode=2. Best bag, best value, you won't be disapointed.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
9mm1033

FWIW: I spend some bucks on a name brand range bag. But, if I had to do it over again; I'd check into the many types of tool carry canvas bags. Check Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. They are heavy duty and "cheaper" than the so-called "range bag".
Old January 1, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
joev

Range bag

What is the size of that Kickn A bag. I just got a 16" sears soft tool tote with 20 in and out compartments. Put a piece of foam on bottom and its great. $25.
Old January 1, 2006, 12:42 PM   #8
choochboost

Medium bag is 15x8x9. The large bag is 18x12x10. I'm telling you, its the way to go. Once upon a time I used a tool bag - not anymore. You don't have to make a Kickin A bag work, they are built specifically for the range and all your gear. You can't beat $17!

Last edited by choochboost; January 1, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old January 1, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Kiel_Everett

for christmas i got my step-dad the xd range bag from xd-hs2000.com. i like it, not too big, lots of compartments and rather cheap at like $45.

but, i think id rather get that D-range bag posted above at $17, LOL
Old January 1, 2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Michaelm45

Looks Good!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=192791
Old January 2, 2006, 09:16 AM   #11
Homeseller

Thanks for the heads up!

I could not pass up the deal on the medium bag from Kickin' A Packs 'N Stuff .
I just ordered 2.

I'll let you know my thought when I get them!

Hubert H. Humphrey
Old January 2, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
joev

pack n stuff bag

I see you are very happy with the med packn n stuff case. couple of questions... how many pistols do you carry along with ammo ear protection etc ? Do you use padded pistol case option from this manf and is it zippered? Case seems great and am thinking about it, just not sure of wich size thanks
Old January 2, 2006, 01:48 PM   #13
choochboost

Homeseller, congrats! I don't think you'll be disapointed. It is a great deal.

Joev, what made you think I was happy with the bag? I only carry two handguns in my medium bag. There are two built-in padded dual zippered lockable pistol pockets on the inside of the bag. Although I would think you could still carry more in other pockets. I do not have the padded inserts with my bag, but I saw them at the gun show where I bought my bag. They are padded, dual zippered and lockable. The display bags at the gun show had the larger bags just stuffed with inserts lined up inside the bag. The great part about this is that you get to "customize" your bag for each range visit. You only have to bring enough inserts for the guns you want to shoot that day. If you're only shooting a couple guns, you're not stuck with all these pockets and inserts in the way. This gives the bag a lot of versatility. In my medium bag I carry 2 handguns, at least 3 100-round boxes of ammo, eyes and ears, a hand towel, 8 mags, 1 speedloader, and alot of smaller items like snap caps, etc. I love the magazine sleeves on the sides of the interior, they are easily accessible and allow you to store your mags (and other random items) along the side so that they aren't cluttering up the bottom of the bag.

Last edited by choochboost; January 2, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:18 PM   #14
afdrookie

i-shot
Old January 2, 2006, 08:49 PM   #15
joev

pack n stuff

ok, you sold me on that pack n stuff bag. looks like a value at 17.49. will let you know how I like it when I get it.
Old January 4, 2006, 07:21 AM   #16
tkara3

range bag

hi. i just got to of them last week, for the money,you can,t beat them.toni
Old January 10, 2006, 08:09 PM   #17
joev

packs n stuff

just got my pack n stack bag from tommygun. itssss greatttttttttttttttttt. real bargain for the money.
Old January 10, 2006, 09:51 PM   #18
TacFan

not a deal anymore at $30
Old January 11, 2006, 02:26 AM   #19
choochboost

Joev, glad you like it. I knew you would.

Tacfan, at $30 its still a deal - the best value out there. Too bad you missed the sale though.
Old January 11, 2006, 05:36 PM   #20
joev

bag still a bargain

you can now get the bigger bag for $30. best bargain. med bag at 30 still a good buy
Old January 11, 2006, 08:46 PM   #21
TacFan

"Joev, glad you like it. I knew you would.

Tacfan, at $30 its still a deal - the best value out there. Too bad you missed the sale though."

who said I missed it ?
Old January 11, 2006, 11:24 PM   #22
choochboost

Something about that smily face.
Old January 14, 2006, 07:12 PM   #23
straightShot

Bagmaster Tournament Model 2

My favorite 1 or 2 pistol bag out of all that we carry is the Bagmaster Tournament Model 2. It holds 2 pistols, mags, ammo, muffs and more. It is still made here in the States and comes with a lifetime warranty. Good luck.

Tournament Model 2

Shoot straight,

straightShot
Old January 14, 2006, 09:23 PM   #24
PoiDog

http://www.tac-force.com/pages/pg3.html

I found this one at Megasports outside Joliet IL. It's huge! Zippered compartments everywhere, lots of room.

It was about $49, but I was tired of using a gatemouth tool bag for the range.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:22 PM   #25
LHB1

Quote: "My favorite 1 or 2 pistol bag out of all that we carry is the Bagmaster Tournament Model 2."

StraightShot,
Can you tell us more about this bag (besides the physical info shown on your website) to help us make a decision? Have been studying it carefully but hesitate to order it sight unseen. Currently using a Mini Bag Deluxe by one of your competitors which is great for light use but is beginning to bulge with accumulated misc gear. Their larger Pro Shooter bag is too big for my taste and needs. The Bagmaster TM2 may just be the mid-size bag I need. Thanks for any info/help you can provide.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: Part of my problem is that I have given away the last two range bags I bought because they were not "quite" what I really wanted.