The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 17, 2000, 09:46 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

A few years back I noticed that somebody was going to be coming out with a reproduction 1887 shotgun. Did that ever happen? I would think that would be a fairly desirable shotgun for CAS.

Alex Johnson
NRA, Life Member
Old February 17, 2000, 09:56 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Alex,

TriStar was the company that was to come out with the 1887 repro,but it never happened. 1887s are pretty cool guns,and I would like a repro of one. Norinco is coming out with a repro of the 1897 pump. The price I've heard is around $400,which doesn't seem like much of a bargain considering that original '97s in good shape can be had for about that same price,or even less.

Bellicose Bill
Old February 17, 2000, 10:12 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

That does seem a bit steep for the 1897 reproduction. I already own a 97 in excellent condition and I didn't pay anywhere near that much for it. Do you know what SASS's stance is on using damascus barreled shotguns in the competitions? I have an excellent quality side lever 10 guage that I wouldn't mind using for CAS. I have shot the gun a fair ammount already with BP reloads with no problems. I know all of the horror stories associated with damascus and I am willing to take my own chances, but I wouldn't want to make anybody around me feel nervous if I was shooting it in an event.

Alex Johnson
NRA, Life Member
Old February 18, 2000, 09:39 AM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Alex,

As far as damascus barreled shotguns are concerned,there are some folks who are staunchly against shooting them. I've even heard of one or two clubs that have outlawed them. Like shooting a Marlin pump,you take your chances while shooting one. Without complete proofing equipment,it's impossible to tell if one is safe to shoot or not.

Bellicose Bill