The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1
old fart

nick on rib

i have h&r pardner pump, just got it new recently, finally had the chance to clean it and noticed a nick at the end of the rib. it looks like something hit it at the front corner of the rib, has anyone else bought a new gun with blemishes already on them? this is my first with dings before i even take it out. thanks
Old February 8, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2
PetahW

Yep, I was buying a new Savage that had a white blem in the buttstock finish, that I discovered when I was inspecting it.

I used the issue to negotiate a further discount/price-reduction, then fixed it when I got it home.

IDK if I would buy a new shotgun with rib damage, but I doubt I would.

Didja inspect it before doing the ownership paperwork ?

Old February 8, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
old fart

i checked function and the workings didn't think to check for dings. its not bad just at the right corner of the front of the rib. nothing major but with it new kinda bugs me.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:47 AM   #4
g.willikers

I once bought a supposedly new rifled barrel for a 12 gauge.
When I got it home and unwrapped, it became obvious it was anything but new.
The bore was downright filthy with the remnants of being fired.
Deciding it was quicker to clean than return, after about a half hour of scrubbing, it came up real nice.
Figuring what the heck, it was just going to get dirty again the first time it got used, I just kept it.
Kind of wondered, though, how many guns and accessories get borrowed from a gun shop by the employees, and later returned to their original packages and places on the shelves.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Waspinator

Quote:
has anyone else bought a new gun with blemishes already on them?
Yeah.

The Mossberg 500 I bought was one of those HD/Field combos that came with an 18" and a 28" barrel. They had this metal doohickey attached to the two barrels to keep them together during shipping. It worked wonderfully, but there was no padding under this clamp .. and my 18" barrel had rub marks through the finish (28" ribbed barrel was fine).

At first I was kind of disappointed... but I figured.. what the heck, it was nothing to get all worked up over and I don't even notice it any more (I was only reminded of it just now after reading your post). Didn't effect the function of the gun at all. Besides, the gun is going to get wear marks and whatnot just by being used. It makes me laugh when people show off their shotgun and there are no wear marks anywhere, not even the slide arms/ mag-tube area. Makes you wonder if they even fire the darn thing.

Up to you, but if it is a little ding that wont effect the gun's function, then I say forget about it and go shooting already
Old February 12, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Nickel Plated

No biggie, you're just gonna ding it sooner or later anyway. Ofcourse if the shop has several of the same model, I would like to pick out the cleanest one. But if not and I want the gun. Then a slight ding won't bother me. I don't baby my guns. Sooner or later they all get scratched and dinged.
Unless it's some fancy $5000 shotgun, then yeah, I expect it to look like a $5000 shotgun.

But what can you really expect for a $200 Chinese pump. Not saying they're bad function wise. But fit and finish should be waaay down your list of priorities when buying one of those. I saw some in gunshops that had machine marks that were more reminiscent of a bubba dremel job than a factory mill.
If it works, what more do you want for the price.