The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 1, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Les Auten

Firingline giveaays

Are the popups notifying a firingline gift card give away legit or a scam?
I have received 3 of these and do not trust them but hope I am not missing out on a legit offer.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

Advertising Popups? In your web browser browsing thefiringline.com?

That's malware on your computer.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 1, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Les Auten

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected it was not on the up and up so I have closed the link every time but was hoping I wasn't losing out on something.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:01 PM   #4
OEF-Vet

Thanks for posting. I have never gotten any popups on TFL but now I know if I do to scan my computer for malware.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton Jr
Old February 2, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Just so we all are on the same page...

The Firing Line is totally commercial free. There are no adds, whatsoever. Our founder and publisher of SWAT Magazine set it up that way and funds the entire expense of this site.

All that this means is that if you get some kind of pop-up advertising... It's you. Not us.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:10 AM   #6
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected it was not on the up and up so I have closed the link every time but was hoping I wasn't losing out on something.
That's a strange response, so I think you misinterpreted. In case Al's post wasn't clear enough, you have malware on your computer or your browser, and you need to get rid of it. There are some tips in another thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=368640
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)