The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Pa_Shooter

243 Win Reloading Question

I may be asking something previously asked but I need to see if I am right. I am reloading for a 243 POF Ar-10. I loaded 4 different loads from the Lyman Book for different grain bullets. I did it all as per the book, shot the loads, came back from the range and put all the brass in the tumbler. I resized them, cleaned all the primer pockets and primed all of them. Half of the brass had primer pockets that were way too big, the primer went in with no resistance whatsoever. I know that an over-pressured load will do this and I have heard of magnum primers sometimes doing this but I uses CCI 200s so I know thats not the problem. Anyone with some ideas??
Old December 11, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

We're going to need a lot more information to give you any kind of answer.

What are the specific loads you were using?

Is the brass new? All one brand? Used previously but in your gun or someone elses?
Old December 11, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you had kept each load segregated , you'd know which load or loads were the culprit ! Throw out the brass with the distended primer pockets , and start over , if those Primer pockets stretched that much , the primers must have backed out to some extent and were probably readily apparent ! Keep your brass seperate for each load , all the way back to the reloading bench for final inspection . I'm sure your problems have more to do with charge weight , than primers or anything else !
Old December 13, 2012, 02:29 AM   #4
mohr308

when im taking a bunch of rounds with different charges in them, i write the grains on the side of the brass with a permanent marker. it helps.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
schmellba99

^
|
|

Same here. Makes knowing what you have in the ammo box quick and easy, and there is no guessing involved.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:29 PM   #6
reynolds357

My first guess is that over pressure is the culprit. Bad lot of brass is an extremely remote possibility.