The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2010, 03:47 PM   #26
JerryM

I have a friend who has a .416 Rigby. I neither own a .416 nor have used one. If I thought I wanted one I would pick a preferred rifle than the cartridge unless ammo was a problem.
I would not worry about the pressure. I am sure that the Rem is safe, and I don't really care about pressure or efficiency if the rifle and cartridge do what I want.

Based upon the posts that indicate that the .416 Rem ammo is more available, I would choose it. I suspect also that a good rifle for the .416 Rem is more available, less expensive, maybe a little less cumbersome due to the use of a smaller action.

FWIW chamber pressure has nothing to do with recoil. Recoil is derived from momentum.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 9, 2010, 01:53 AM   #27
lt dan

from an African perspective i can only confirm what has already been said. the 416 Rigby ammo is available in almost any gun shop, the 416 Rem ammo can be ordered. the Rigby has a very loyal following in Africa.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:04 AM   #28
mete

The temperature vs pressure question was originally important because the British Cordite powder was more sensitive to high temperatures.That's much less of a problem with modern powders.

Hunting dangerous game is serious business .It's frustrating to see tv shows where the hunter doesn't understand this .From fumbling reloads to a resent one where a woman hunting cape buffalo was very unfamiliar with the gun ,the PH constantly checking her and the gun.