The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 18, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
jbladedx

What did I buy??

Well I was at my local gander mountain today and was looking at the used guns i came across a nice looking grey laminated stock, bolt action, 22" barrel labeled Carl Gustafs Stad 6.5x55 swede. Never heard of this make before i dont no a whole lot about guns as you can tell but i have always had an interest in the 6.5x55 caliber so i bought it. From what i can tell from reseaching is that this is an old swedish mauser which must have been fitted with this laminate stock or something. shouyld i have bought this or was it a bad mistake??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad.jpg (124.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad2.jpg (96.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5x55 carl gustafs stad3.JPG (152.0 KB, 160 views)
Old November 18, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Buzzcook

It is possible that it's a commercial rifle rather than a rebuilt surplus gun.

Carl Gustaf bought the commercial arms business from Husqvarna.
Old November 18, 2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Cowboy_mo

I can't say for sure but if it is built on a mauser action and it may have previously been made by Husquavarna or at least on their designs, I think you done good
Old November 18, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
ccSnoopycc

I have an 1891 argentine mauser that has a custom stock similar to that and has been rechambered to 6.5x55. ITS MY FAVORITE RIFLE. Carl Gustaf is a sweedish gun making firm and they do make mausers chambered in 6.5 . If it shoots like my mauser you will LOVE it. The 6.5 is harder to find (look at gun shows) but an excellent round for deer and hog. Nice looking gun dont be surprised if you start shooting it over all of your other rifles. Happy shooting.

Last edited by ccSnoopycc; November 18, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Jim Watson

You have a Swedish Mauser model of 1894, 1896, or 1938 that has been sporterized. The bolt handle has been turned down to clear a scope and the action has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I can't see if it has a safety altered or replaced to clear a scope.

The Swedes did not issue 22" barrels, I can't see well enough to tell if you have a replacement or a cut off factory barrel.

The whole thing set in a laminated stock and matte blued.

The '94 series is of good steel and adequate design for the caliber, which is a good medium game round.

You did OK, but maybe you got lucky. Are you in the habit of buying stuff you can't identify?
Old November 18, 2010, 10:33 PM   #6
jbladedx

I hope the gun shoots well. I will be useing it mostly for deer. Ill no more about the gun and ill get more pics when I pick it up Wednesday. Ill get the markings off the gun and model so u guys will no more about it. This was an impulse buy and I just happen to come across it and I got it for a great price so I figured what the heck..atleast I think it was a good price. I paid $317.99 out the door. Hope I like it. Now I just gotta find ammo no one locally seems to have it!
Old November 19, 2010, 12:53 AM   #7
ccSnoopycc

Try Cabelas, J & G, and Cheaper than Dirt (although their 6.5 is way more expensive than dirt). The average price for a box is about $15-$18 normally. I usually buy six boxes when the gun show is in town.

Oh and this place has them on sale but I have never used them so idk.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...?a=498502&pn=1
Old November 19, 2010, 05:31 AM   #8
gyvel

I more or less agree with Jim Watxon. You bought a former Swedish Mauser that someone has sporterized.
Old November 19, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
jbladedx

I agree and thats what I originally thought it was. Either way if its a commercial gun or an old sporterized mauser I like it and it was cheap and the craftmanship is really nice so whoever did it did a great job! i think ill be happy with it Cant wait to pick it up Wednesday!
Old November 19, 2010, 10:37 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those Swedish Mausers were and are one of the most accurate military rifles ever made. Most had very good bores (the Swedes took care of their guns and didn't fight any wars while they had them) and are tack drivers with good ammo. The 139/140 grain boat tail bullet is especially well suited to the rifle.

Jim
Old November 22, 2010, 05:09 PM   #11
lashlaroe

Quote:
...Oh and this place has them on sale but I have never used them so idk.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...?a=498502&pn=1
Sportsmans Guide is a solid source for ammo. I've purchased any number of goods from them, including ammo on occasion. Always with great service.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.