The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
101guns

45 LC Report

I had posted here earlier that I was seeking recommendations for my 7yo for a dear hunt this weekend. We fired the .243 with Barnes 85 gr., .223 WSSM with 62 gr., and 45 LC in Speer 250 gr. HP. All guns were fired at 25, 50 and 100 yards from the bench. Our "childrens" stand is a box stand offers comfy seats, padded rests in the windows and is set up 45 yards from a feeder. The buck we were wanting did not show up, but we opted for the 45 LC due to the short range and the fact that she was able to more consistently stack them on target due to the non-existent recoil. As a bonus, the LC qualifies as a primitive weapon her. That means she hunted this weekend's youth hunt and will be able to hunt the primitive weapons hunt in two weeks, all before the regular season opens....pleased with 45 LC so far....will let you know how it performs on deer soon hopefully. Thanks to all those that made suggestions.
Old November 2, 2009, 08:03 AM   #2
MTT TL

Great I hope the 7yo enjoys the hunt. Make sure you use a good heavy bullet traveling at at least 900 fps for a good clean kill.
Old November 2, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Congratulations on getting your daughter started. I hope it's the start of a life time of fun for both of you.

I'm surprised that the .45 Colt is considered a primitive weapon, but it's good news for you guys.