The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 23, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
scottycoyote

buying a used h&k usp, what to look for?

ok shot a usp in 9mm a few weeks back and fell in love with it, found a local guy with a usp in .40 and im supposed to go look at it, hoping to get some info/advice from the board.

1) Ok first off he has all the original stuff, mags, box, manual....he said the gun has had several thousand rounds thru it but has been kept in excellent shape. What is a good price for this gun....would $600 be a deal or average? I see them new on gunbroker for like 750 it seems, plus shippin of course and fl fee so your talkin $800.

2) are there any issues with this gun i should be aware of? Certain serial numbered guns to stay away from? What should i look for as far as wear and tear on the gun, slide tight or loose, trigger action, etc?

im totally new to h&k and not used to paying this kind of money for a used gun, but i want one so just trying to do the right thing.....all answers appreciated.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:18 PM   #2
HK123

The older guns I think Pre 1997 had issues with the firing pin breaking when dry firing. Now that has been fixed.

I don't know of any other specific changes.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Van55

A local shop has the 9mm NIB for $700.00.

I don't shop for used guns, so I can't help with the probable price for one with a few thousand rounds through it. I love my H&K USP9.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:38 PM   #4
anythingshiny

i have owned many HKs both new and used and NEVER had any issues with reliability or accuracy regardless of rounds thru it.

600 for a used is ok..not great. he'll tell that " its HK..the best..none better"
1/4 of the price is the reputation...not that its unwarranted, but there is always hype.

knock him down to 500 cash and youre golden.

check HKPRO as well..you can occ catch a deal there.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
anythingshiny

ack..didnt even address your q's bro sorry.

HK triggers are universally the weak point...gritty feeling and not smooth unless you bump up to the tactical or LEM trigger, but you get used to em just as you'd get used to that grock monstrosity they call a trigger :P

they are usually tight and you shouldnt not be able to get an old school 1911 rattle out of it.

there may be 2 plastic "tabs" on the metal rails that look rough...no worries bout em though...many get that and it does not affect reliability or accuracy.

the barrel should be in good condition as well and will often sit against the muzzle and will not necessarily be centered..thats ok as well.
Old June 23, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6
hoytinak

This past weekend my USPc 9mm hit just over 40,000 (40,300 to be exact) rounds without any problems so far. The trigger was a little rough when it was new but smoothed out over the first couple hundred rounds. My slide to frame fit is still just as tight as the day I bought it. As you can see from the pic, the sharp eges wear pretty good from being carried (mine was carried ALOT till I got my P2000SK) but it just adds character. This is by far my favorite handgun.
Old June 23, 2008, 09:16 PM   #7
scottycoyote

awesome, thanks for the replies.....i may have to shop a bit more
Old June 23, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Bentonville

I had a P2000 in 9 for sale a while back that was in really great condition with only about 1200 rounds through it for 600 including shipping. I probably would shop a while. Check HKPro.com in the HK for sale section. Sometimes you can get great deals from someone who wants to get the HK45 or P30. JMO. If you really want it, get it. It's still a reliable pistol, no doubt.
Old June 24, 2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Que

The earliest USPs (94/95 I think) had land and groove rifling as opposed to the now standard polygonal rifling. To me ( I have one with lands and grooves) it doesn't matter all that much.