The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 1, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
Servo77

Simmons prohunter scope

Looking for an inexpensive scope for my muzzleloader. CDNN has the older simmons pro hunters on closeout (they were originally much more expensive). Anyone have one of the older ones? Do you think it would stand up to recoil? I have had some of simmons higher end scopes (44 mag, AETEC) and have been very happy with those.
Old November 1, 2007, 09:52 AM   #2
tyrajam

I had one on a 22 hornet, so I don't know how it would stand up to recoil. It worked fine for shooting on the prarie and the target range, but it wasn't as clear as my redfield or weaver so I never put it on anything else. Its a good scope, but I wouldn't use it for low light hunting.
Old November 1, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Jack O'Conner

I have a 2X - 7X Pro Hunter that I bought from cheaperthandirt.com in 2002. It cost about $55.00 plus shipping. Since then this scope has endured minus zero temps and many snow storms without losing its zero or fogging. Its a KEEPER!

Jack
Old November 2, 2007, 03:36 AM   #4
wayne in boca

I have a Simmons Pro Hunter 3 X 10-50 MM scope on a Serbu .50 BMG,put it on originally just until I could afford a higher-priced scope,figured it would break pretty soon.Several hundred rounds later,it's still fine.
Old November 2, 2007, 04:25 AM   #5
CamoCop

cheapest scope i own is a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn. i put it on my muzzle loader because we only have 2 weekends of muzzle loader hunts. i didn't want to spend alot of money for only 2 weekends of hunting. so far it has been great. it's held zero and allowed me to put 1 down this year.
Old November 2, 2007, 05:16 AM   #6
Flaman

The Simmons pro-series scopes are all awsome. The scope's internals are not your typical everyday scope design. Go to Simmons website to see how they're constructed. I've been taught that it is better to have a $800 scope on a $200 gun, rather than have a $200 scope on an $800 gun, but the pro-series scopes are the first exception to the rule I've ever seen!

My WSM calibre rifles are usually punishing on scopes, but I happened to take a chance and buy one about two years ago for my Winchester model 70 in a 270-WSM. I mounted it using loctite on all mounting and ring screws. It was easy to zero... Each click of adjustment moved the shot placement consistanly. I set it 1-1/2" high at 100 yards and the gun can easily shoot an orange at 300 yards two years later! The scope has been bumped a few times while hunting and I've shot over 100 rounds of magnum ammo through the rifle... and the scope had ALWAYS held a zero.