The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1
XDmichael

Mossberg 930 SPX ... little tweeeeek

Ok so I noticed that my Mossberg 930 SPX had a significant amount of play in the forend. So I cut some small plastic cubes as spacers and super glued them to the forearm retainer. Now it feels much better and has no play at all! The spacer I added was also just barely thick enough to cause it to be pinched in place. It seems like that would add to its bond integrity.

So does anybody think this is a bad idea? It clears all parts as far as I can tell and it doesn't seem like it would get too hot in that area (no special plastic was used). But please let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3666-2.jpg (201.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3670-2.JPG (137.6 KB, 106 views)
Old April 13, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
4thPointofContact

I did much the same but a little differently, I added a shim to the underside that would press against the forearm. Same results, different methods. I don't see it affecting reliability either way, but it does seem to make it feel more solid.

Are you aware of M24Shooter's (I think it was him) method to ghost load an extra round on the 930's shell carrier? It gives 7+1+1 capability.
Old April 14, 2009, 12:40 AM   #3
XDmichael

No I haven't heard about that yet.

So it'll hold 9 (7+1+1) rounds total ... rather than the 8 (7+1) like it does out of the factory?? How did he do that??
Old April 16, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
4thPointofContact

It's not my idea so I won't even attempt to claim credit: M24Shooter on Shotgunworld.com came up with the idea.

To ghost load 1 extra round on a 930 - -
1. load the tube magazine to capacity, 7 shells.

2. Pull back the bolt handle enough to load the chamber through the ejection port but Not enough to lock it back. (7+1)

3. Load the shell lifter with the last round, keeping it depressed so that the bolt will ride over it. It is slightly more complicated than it sounds but using snap caps the first time makes it easy. (7+1+1)

4. Make sure the safety is "ON" there is no lowering the hammer this way.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
XDmichael

Wow ... well I got it to load! But in the back of my head I'm wondering if it will jam with in comes to use it.

I assume you guys have tried it out, right? After firing the first round doesn't it release another round that would end up getting stuck on the ghost loaded round??

If this trick does work ... then it's pretty amazing!