The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2008, 07:14 AM   #1
FL-Flinter

How about....

.... a little break from revolvers .... Hawks are hand forged 1095 w/ hickory handles and I know nothing about the cows running around missing their horns!

Old June 4, 2008, 07:44 AM   #2
mykeal

Very nice. Do you participate in throwing events?
Old June 4, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3
hillbille

flflinter look real nice, but I dont see any sights, also how do you load them?
Old June 4, 2008, 08:57 AM   #4
FL-Flinter

mykeal,

No, I usually participate in "ducking" events depending on what I say to my wife and what she has in her hand at the time! On the serious side, no I don't throw them, between the arthritis, nerve damage and carpal tunnel, my arm just won't take it.

hillbille,

They come pre-loaded and the sights are primitive style, line the cutting edge up centered with the eye and let it fly.

Last edited by FL-Flinter; June 5, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old June 4, 2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Pahoo

Definitely in line with M/L gear and very pleasant to look at, display as well as use in the field. Is the base plug on the large horn, round lathe turned or carved? The priming horn looks carved. Thank you for posting.

Be Safe
Old June 4, 2008, 09:56 AM   #6
playtheblues

VERY NICE axes!
BB in SC
Old June 4, 2008, 09:20 PM   #7
FL-Flinter

Thanks for the compliments! (that's my head getting bigger. LOL)

The plug on the large horn is lathe turned and flat faced, shape of the horn dictated the staple be centered for it to hang properly no matter which side the user wears it on - I'll probably add some incised scroll trim on the plug just so it doesn't look so plain. I planned on scrimming it but haven't made up my mind yet as to what the subject matter will be (that's a hint about me being open to suggestions)

The plug on the primer horn has a small acanthus incised carving on it - pic below but it's not focused properly - picture taking is not one of my strong points. This was a piece of horn tip I happened to find buried in a box in an old shed. It's got a few spots where the bugs were at it but no holes completely through it, I think it gives the horn just a little more character.

Old June 5, 2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Hawg

I've always wanted a throwing hawk but never got one.
Old June 5, 2008, 04:20 AM   #9
Raider2000

FL-Flinter:
You have some nice Hawks & horns there my friend, I want a nice Hawk & Horn to go with the rest of my gear that I'm working on but ofcorse I have to settle down long enough to decide exactly what I want in each & the actual purpose of the Hawk will be "throwing or utilitarian."
Old June 5, 2008, 08:56 AM   #10
FL-Flinter

Raider,

These are just a couple working hawks. I forged the bits from 1095 alloy, the standard hawk eye is 1020 and the pole axe eye & hammer head is 1040. Traditional hawks and carbon/damascuss knives are quickly becoming more popular even with those who could care less about shooting ML's. I never got into making pipe hawks much, did one a long time ago but I prefer making work hawks and while these are rather plain, there's a lot of room for added bling.
Old June 5, 2008, 09:18 AM   #11
Raider2000

Yeah, I'm not much in something that couldn't be a useable tool or item, I have a Antique Sword & a few new repros that are the real deal not just a wall hanger toy, & as far as Bling goes what you have there would be fine for my taste being that I'm not much in the pretty pretty just something traditional & functional.

The Hawk on the right is more my taste although they both are beautiful.

Do you make any for others?
Old June 5, 2008, 09:41 AM   #12
FL-Flinter

The one on the right is a pole axe a/k/a British belt axe and several other names depending on who you talk to. Yes, everything is for sale, email or PM me.