The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 19, 2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Pointshoot

Gun Purchase Insta-Check: "Further Review" ?

Hello everyone.

Ive been buying firearms for many years. As I recall, when the background insta-check was run, it went through quickly, practically immediately. (Though in some of the larger gunshops theyve called in the info from a separate office rather than repeat the customers info so everyone in the store can hear it. I wasn't able to overhear the gundealer half of the conversation.) On my last two gun purchases, I was able to hear the gundealer and the phrase 'further review' when he called in for the insta-check. Within a couple minutes the final approval was given, and I was able to walk out with my purchase.

What does 'further review' mean ? I have a completely clean record. I don't have a common name - - I did a websearch and all they said was that more information had to be gathered, or something. There wasn't mention of why that had to take place. And there was no mention of why this would now occur when it hadnt happened in the past. Will all my purchases be subject to 'further review' from now on ? Is this impacted by such things as the number of purchases one has done recently ? Lately, I've been finding several guns on my long term "Want List" and have been buying more than usual for me.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this. Regards, - - -
Old October 19, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
johnbt

What state? Colorado has InstaCheck, don't they? Pennsylvania's is Instant Check iirc.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

The first stage of the check involves the clerk rattling off the particulars on the 4473 to an operator, who is basically a data-entry clerk. The clerk gets one of three possible results: proceed, denied, or further review.

The first two are self-explanatory. "Further review" means that the matter gets kicked over to another operator, who has more comprehensive access to records.

For one reason or another, some combination of your personal data kicks up a "check this further" flag. It could be due to any number of factors.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tom Servo ....The clerk gets one of three possible results: proceed, denied, or further review.....
Tom I think the CSR only gets to "proceed" a transaction or pass it on to a NICS Examiner for "further review". The FBI Legal Documents Examiner makes the call whether to delay or deny that transaction.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 19, 2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Tom I think the CSR only gets to "proceed" a transaction or pass it on to a NICS Examiner for "further review".
Actually, I've had an instant denial. The buyer didn't seem too surprised, either.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
Tom Servo
Quote:
Quote:
Tom I think the CSR only gets to "proceed" a transaction or pass it on to a NICS Examiner for "further review".
Actually, I've had an instant denial. The buyer didn't seem too surprised, either.
Sure about that?
Only a FBI NICS Legal Documents Examiner is authorized to delay or deny a transfer.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
sigcurious

Quote:
Only a FBI NICS Legal Documents Examiner is authorized to delay or deny a transfer.
A number of states run their own systems instead of using the NICS, FBI folks aren't involved in all states. I don't know where Tom Servo is from, but this might explain the difference in procedure.

Which brings us back to what johnbt inquired about. What state is the OP in? Reasons for a minor delay in a state run system might differ from reasons with the NICS.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Pointshoot

I'm in Washington state guys.

Thanks for your comments

P.S. - - I have to admit on the purchase before the last one, the gunstore clerk told me the 'horrors' he's experiencing after having a purchase denied. He admitted to having had some kind of 'violations in his younger days'. (He didnt go into it further, & I already had heard more than I cared to.) He had a number of guns on layaway at his employer, the gunshop, and he was worried about restoring his gun purchase rights. When he called to do the check on me he said that "When I heard 'further review', I was worried that they were going to deny your purchase." That's what got my attention regarding what 'further review' means . . and caused my concern.

Thank you again - -
Old October 20, 2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Ben Towe

They used to delay me all the time, then they quit and haven't done it in years. Never did know why.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Sure about that? Only a FBI NICS Legal Documents Examiner is authorized to delay or deny a transfer.
My recollection may be wrong.

Don't go spreading it that I'm capable of being wrong, however.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11
dogtown tom

As my grandmother used to say "I might be wrong if I'm not mistaken".

Old October 20, 2012, 09:45 PM   #12
Webleymkv

Quote:
I don't have a common name
Your name might be a lot more common than you might think. Where I work, we usually try to look up customer records by telephone number rather than name because we have nationwide records and even the most obscure names can often pull up dozens of results. Given that the NICS check is cross referencing your name against databases with thousands, if not millions, of names in them, it wouldn't be overly surprising to find out that someone with the same or similar name to yours has been naughty somewhere at some time. While it is optional, I've heard from several sources that providing your Social Security Number on the 4473 can often help to avoid such mix ups.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Pointshoot

Webleymkv - - youre likely very right about the commonality of names.

Awhile ago I was in a local gunshop, and there was a gentleman in his mid 70s there who had just been "delayed" a rifle purchase when they called it in. The fellow was puzzled as he had purchased firearms for many years, had a clean record, and was a vet. He hadn't included his SSN on the app and the gun store clerk said that this can help move things through. - - -I've been including the SSN on the app since then; I figure theyve got it anyway.

Thank you everyone, I've appreciated your comments. Even with the 'further review' I was approved on the last few purchases within a couple minutes of overhearing those words. I'm grateful at that, and will stop being concerned about 'mysteries' that I have no control over. Best regards, - - -