The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 29, 2015, 10:01 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Android hunting Apps

It might sound crazy with the small woods here in NJ. But, its easy to get lost on flat wooded ground. When im in PA and have the hills to use as landmarks (walk in uphill walk out downhill) along with other points. At home in NJ I have the sun and if im lucky I can find a stream or something to use as reference. Usually im not far from the truck but even a few hundred yards into the woods a person can get turned around without to much trouble. Once I was within 75yds of my truck in thick cover at night. Hit the door unlock button and was able to see the truck lights. Without that I was walking about 45 degrees off coarse. So anyway I am looking for a simple app for my android that will let me use the GPS without cell service. Will track my walking route and let me set a couple of waypoints such as deerstand location or an area where I have seen good sign. If its overlaid on a topo that would be even better. But I want simple.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 29, 2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Gunplummer

I know what you are talking about. I used to hunt the big swamps on the eastern shore of Maryland. The first time I went in, I just looked at the sun. Then I found out it rains every half hour down there. I was walking parallel to the only road in miles for about an hour. No landmarks.
I would not trust a GPS. Even if you have one, buy a cheap compass and take a reading so you can at least hit a road on the way out.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:58 PM   #3
waveslayer

XM Hunting app is not bad,
Old May 29, 2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Doyle

I use Google Earth and Polaris Navigation. There is something wrong with the setting on my phone though. Whenever I want to use Google Earth to pinpoint my location, I have to go to Polaris Navigation first and let the GPS lock on, then I can go to GE and display where I am on the satellite photo.

However, even though I have these features on my phone I still rely on a handheld GPS for true navigation while hunting. Much easier to mark waypoints and it doesn't suck down battery life like my phone does.
Old May 29, 2015, 05:28 PM   #5
jmr40

You can do pretty well with just a compass and a general idea of the area. If you park on a road running north and south, and walk into the eastern side of the road all you really need to do is walk west and you'll eventually hit the road you parked on. Maybe not right at the truck, but pretty close especially if you pay attention to the compass as you walk in. The key is just to walk in a straight line.

It is amazing how many people will walk in circles without a compass in flat woods. I volunteer with a SAR team and we often do searches where we have to walk in a grid. I've seen experienced searchers get off course if they aren't checking their compass literally every minute or two. Downloading and printing out maps of the area is a good idea too.

Still having a GPS and cell phone are handy. I use both in addition to a compass. If you use either much at all they will drain batteries. But I can and do carry extra GPS batteries. Much harder to recharge your phone in the woods.
Old May 30, 2015, 03:57 AM   #6
stagpanther

Any GPS device is only as good as the power of the receivers and available telemetry of satellites. In dense woods I've often lost reception and a compass is definitely the way to go. Here in Maine the woods are so thick you can get seriously lost very quickly--I've found myself going in a circle just 100 ft from a trailhead when trying to navigate by dead reckoning--which works fine for me down south.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:34 AM   #7
NateKirk

It's like that in Michigan too. I always just use a compass and a map. Not only is it cheaper than using an expensive GPS, it's a lot more fun too

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old May 30, 2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Blindstitch

Although I'm waiting for an app answer I use a compass and map a lot but the best thing that can be done is scouting the area that you're going to hunt.

I did get lost for a while this year and was using a google maps to find my way out of a marshy thick forest and my phone died. The compass got me to the road eventually but you can't always assume there's going to be an easy road to get to.

One tip I would suggest is to get a loud whistle and tell someone where you will be hunting just in case they need to come looking.
Old May 30, 2015, 01:46 PM   #9
stagpanther

I used to use one called "trails" or something like that--it would generate a track for your route over a topo overlay so you could easily follow it out--even in the dark. But here's the thing--in order to generate the maps you'll need to maintain at least a wi-fi connection unless you have room in storage for the maps--in which case you might need to move up to a "pro" version to download their maps. If you really want to go this route then I would suggest getting a stand-alone gps with the best receiver hardware. Yet another option are "spot" receivers which not only broadcast your position--but theoretically are able to broadcast an SOS if need be--from anywhere in the world.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:43 AM   #10
buck460XVR

The reason it's so easy to get lost in flat ground is because there are no prominent land marks visible and one tends to walk in circles. This is the case even in smaller woodlots. While western mountain country may be large, it's hard to get turned around when there is a mountain peak straight ahead. Phones are like the old GPS systems....great until your battery runs out or you lose signal. In heavy rain, where one is most likely to get lost, one is taking a risk every time they expose them to the elements. While a GPS/Phone App will trace your steps and can lead you directly back to your starting point, they can't do squat if they're dead. A inexpensive $10 compass is a very effective back-up, and also a very effective primary source for getting direction. Those pin-on ones are easy to read 100% of the time only taking a quick glance to make sure you are walking in a straight line. In small wood lots, you don't need to be exact, you just need to go in the right direction to get out.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:27 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
Those pin-on ones are easy to read 100% of the time only taking a quick glance to make sure you are walking in a straight line. In small wood lots, you don't need to be exact, you just need to go in the right direction to get out.
Exactly what I do--I have one pinned to my glove so I can see it while carrying.
Old May 31, 2015, 05:37 PM   #12
Doyle

I lost my favorite compass last year during hunting season. It was a very cheap one that was a combination compass and whistle on a keychain. I kept it clipped to one of my backpack straps so all I had to do was reach down to my chest and raise it up. I think I'll order a few of them off Ebay and have a few spares.

One more thing. The trick to navigating by phone without loosing battery power is to only power up your phone nav system every half hour or so. I've seen too many users try to use them like a GPS by keeping them on constantly. Power it up to get a fix, then use the compass to walk for the next half hour. Then repeat.
Old June 1, 2015, 05:22 AM   #13
BoogieMan

I almost always carry a compass in my bag and have a general idea where im hunting. My trips are also usually close to a road because I have very limited time to hunt, I only get out a few hours in morn or eve then work. I am looking for the mapping system not only to help me get in and out but hopefully find my stand or find a scouted spot where i want to put my stand.
Also I have a $10 credit from amazon apps.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 4, 2015, 12:02 AM   #14
BigMikey76

MyCar Locator

It's really a good app. You set the location before you leave the car, and it guides you back when you need it to. I still agree with the advice of bringing a compass just in case of bad connectivity, but this is definitely the app I would recommend.