The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
dayman

Is the Super Blackhawk in .45lc no more? (nevermind)

Does Ruger no longer make the super blackhawk in .45lc?
I was looking on their web sight and it's only listed in .44mag.

I'd probably be looking at a used gun anyway, but if it's something that's been discontinued, perhaps I should start looking sooner rather than later.

My long term dream is to have a SA Ruger in .45lc and a Marlin in .45-70 and start casting/reloading - finally fulfill the my boyhood dream of being a cowboy. And, the super blackhawk just feels better to me than the Vaquero - which seems to be the only thing available in .45.

EDIT: turns out this was a stupid question. If there's a moderator so inclined, deletion would hide my shame.

Last edited by dayman; January 1, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, the Ruger SBH was only ever made in .44 Mag - the .45's are Blackhawks, even though the frame sizes are the same (New Models only).

If the SBH feels best for you, but you want a .45, I would suggest you obtain a 7-1/2" barreled .45 Blackhawk and a SBH gripframe & grip panels, etc - then swap in the SBH gripframe onto the .45 cylinder frame.

If you want an unfluted cylinder, you're S.O.L., unless you want to have one custom-made.

Old January 1, 2013, 06:46 PM   #3
dayman

huh... I just assumed that it was a super blackhawk as the standard blackhawk seems to only come in 327/357mag, and .45 seemed like it would be more of a size with the .44. Not the first time i've been wrong.
I shot a what I was told was a ruger balckhawk of some stripe this summer in .45lc and loved it - but the assumption it was a SBH was mine. But in any case, is .45lc something that thy only do in short runs, or something they no longer do at all.
Or, am I somehow just managing to miss it on Ruger's website?

EDIT--- crap. never mind.. They just don't make it in stainless at the moment.
My question is answered, and now aI just feel a little dumb.
Old January 1, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Hawg

The SBH has always been .44 mag as Petah said. The BH comes in several calibers including .45 Colt. The last six are .45 Colt.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...ed/models.html
Old January 1, 2013, 06:58 PM   #5
dayman

yeah, I found them - I'd like something in stainless, so I started there and just ASSumed the BH was a .30cal platform. There are a couple distributer exclusives that seem to be exactly what I want though, so yeah...
Old January 1, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
savit260

The major difference between the Blackhawk, and the Super Blackhawk is the shape of the hammer (lower and wider on the Super) and the grip frame and EJH material. Steel on the Super, and aluminum on the Blackhawk. The 7 1/2" and longer Supers also use a slighty longer grip frame. The 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" models use the same lenght grip frames.

Here's my 45 Colt Blackhawk with a Super Blackhawk hammer installed.

The grip frames, hammers, and EJH's are all interchangeable, because they are built on the same frame. (exeption being the mid frame "flat top" models)

EDIT TO ADD: Keep in mind the smaller mid frame 45 Colt flat tops won't handle the "Ruger Only" loads that the large frame 45 Colt Blackhawks will.

Last edited by savit260; January 1, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:29 AM   #7
gak

If you want "cowboy" in a Ruger, it doesn't get any closer than the original/large frame Vaquero - in your case in a .45., if you want to shoot "hot loads"...or New Vaquero if "regular" loads and want a slightly smaller, more Colt-like size frame shared with the new Flattops (except 50th .44 Mag). The Vaquero (again = original/large frame) is built on essentially the same frame as the NM Blackhawk except for the Vaquero's steel gripframe (and ejector housing) - like the Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. SO, if you said you didn't like the feel of the "Vaquero," are you talking "old" or New" (large N)?--as the former (discontinued around 2005 except for a few subsequent special runs) should be the same exact feel as a short-barreled (5.5" or less) SBH. The longer barrel SBH had square-back triggerguards and a larger (longer) grip than either the Vaquero or NM Blackhawk.

Last edited by gak; January 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
PetahW

Search around, since Ruger definitely made stainless .45 Blackhawks - I had a two gun/four cylinder .45ACP/.45 Colt convertible set, one gun in blued carbon steel, and the other in stainless.

Mine sported the 4-5/8" bbls I prefer, but longer bbls were offered, IIRC.

This is a 5-1/2" Stainless .45 Bisley (it recently sold on GB for $400) - If a stainless SBH gripframe is swapped in, I'd call it just fine for your purposes.

Last edited by PetahW; January 2, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Bob Wright

Here is my .45 Colt/.45ACP "Super" Blackhawk. It started out life as a 7 1/2" Blackhawk, I had the Super gripe frame installed, also case colored by Doug Turnbull. As has been noted, the cylinder is fluted:

If you're bent on having a non-fluted cylinder, here is my .45 Colt ex-Bisley now in "Super" configuration.

I've kept the Blackhawk hammers in place of the Super Blackhawk as I prefer it over the Super. Also found that I prefer the Super Blackhawk grip for very heavy handloads, especially when bullet weight gets to be around 350 grains.

Bob Wright
Old January 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Bob Wright

savit260:

Please more information on those grips on your .45?

Bob Wright
Old January 2, 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
savit260

Grips by Carl Schultz (Pvt. Schultz)

Nice stuff for reasonable money.

http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/

Last edited by savit260; January 2, 2013 at 07:18 PM.