The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old February 10, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Detachment Charlie

Buying primed brass???

Am thinking about starting to reload,.223 & .45ACP for openers. I have noticed several sources that sell primed brass in .223. For the initial (that's the first time around) is there any advantage to buying primed brass and skipping the self priming step? I know there is a price premium, but would tolerate that initially as part of the learning expenses. Would these have to be shipped HAZMAT?
Thanks for the help.

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old February 10, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I personally would never buy primed brass. BUT....with shortages of components...that may be all that is left for you to choose from. It is very simple to prime brass. Primers cost about 2.5-3.5 cents a piece. As far as shipping hazmat...I do not know...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 10, 2009, 07:25 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Am thinking about starting to reload,.223 & .45ACP for openers. I have noticed several sources that sell primed brass in .223. For the initial (that's the first time around) is there any advantage to buying primed brass and skipping the self priming step?
In the instance of rifle calibers that you intend on seeking very best accuracy and are going to neck size, yes then there is an advantage. The first time you fire the cartridge you are not looking to accuracy, you are just fire-forming the case to your chamber. After the first firing, you would neck size and start working up a load or, if you have worked up a load already for that rifle and are just in need of new brass, you would then load your accuracy load into the case. So, in that scenario, you do not need to prime the case yourself, or even know what primer is in there if you fire-forming load is modest.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I personally would not buy primed brass. I am one of those that believe even new brass needs to be sized before you load it. Not an easy thing to do with a primer already in the case.
Rusty
Old February 10, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Inspector3711

Easy enough to resized primed brass... Simply pull the depriming pin out of the sizing button. That said, I prefer to know what brand and type (benchrest, magnum or standard?) of primer I'm dealing with. It does have an effect on chamber pressure after all.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:42 PM   #6
CrustyFN

Quote:
Easy enough to resized primed brass... Simply pull the depriming pin out of the sizing button.
I agree with pistol. I have never tried it with 223. Just doesn't seem like it would work that good but I have been wrong before.
Rusty
Old February 11, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
SL1

I may remember wrong, but I THINK that HAZMAT fees don't apply to primed brass. Sounds illogical, but everything about HAZMAT fees is illogical.

If that is true, then you can compare the price of the primed brass to the price of buying unprimed brass plus pimers.

Of course, if you ever intend to REload, then you need to find separate primers. We all try to find local sources so that we don't need to pay HAZMAT fees to receive them (or buy enough to provide munitions for a major war in an attempt to keep down the per-shot price after including the HAZMAT fee).

SL1
Old February 11, 2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've bought pre-primed brass many times over the years.

Nothing really detrimental or beneficial about it.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:31 AM   #9
ryalred

I've never bought primed brass. I want to prime my brass with the primers I want and I want to make sure they're seated properly. It just doesn't take that long to prime brass--I want to prime my own.
reloading -- addicted
Old February 11, 2009, 01:03 PM   #10
SL1

Ypu can aways run primed brass through a Lee (or other) hand seating tool to check that the primers are all seated well.

But, how often do yo find primers not seated well in factory-loaded ammo?

SL1
Old February 11, 2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Inspector3711

Quote:
I have never tried it with 223. Just doesn't seem like it would work that good
Most people probably haven't but then they haven't made the stupid mistake I made last spring with my .223 reloading hahaha. I can only laugh at myself now. I shoulder bumped and primed 200 cases after fit checking a couple of rounds. Then I loaded them up and found that 80% didn't fit in the chamber! After cussing for an hour, I wore out a collet in my bullet puller hammer and had some nice blisters. I then FL resized after removing the depriming pin. Worked like a champ.
Old February 12, 2009, 08:10 AM   #12
45Marlin carbine

I have bought primed pistol brass at a good price a few times from Natchez.
don't think I would trust primed rifle brass though ('06) I've never seen it advertised.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:23 AM   #13
CrustyFN

Quote:
I then FL resized after removing the depriming pin. Worked like a champ.
Good to know, thanks.
Rusty
Old February 13, 2009, 03:46 AM   #14
HiBC

Interesting thread.I just bought 1000 lake city primed 7.62 NATO because it was the only brass I coud find.

I'll likely pass it throughj a sizer and chamfer

but I am a bit uneasy about "What primer?" When?,etc.

Supply side economicalismoids.
Old November 13, 2014, 11:51 PM   #15
smothron5

buying primed brass???

my best friend bought be 500 pre primed brass, was shocked at price, but I checked every 25 or so with caliper and all were good and I just got done reloading them, like everyone says you don't know what primer was used so first time shooting I would target shoot! since mine are for ak-47 its not so important like hunting for accuracy! use them for target shooting on bowling pins or something but if your rifle is zeroed for specific components I wouldn't change scope just have a fun day, bring a newbie or young shooter and use them to teach then safety! and shooting, pass it on
Old November 14, 2014, 01:26 AM   #16
emcon5

You realize this thread is 5 years old?
Old November 14, 2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Bart B.

If one doesn't know what primer's used in brass sold with it, maybe they can ask someone (if they don't know how) to contact the maker then ask them what they use. I doubt Winchester will use Federal primers in their primed cases sold. Same for Federal using Remington primers in theirs. Goodness. . . . . . . . . . . ........

If one doesn't trust primed cases to have their primers seated correctly, why would they ever buy loaded ammo with primers in those cases? Goodness; again!!!
Closed Thread