The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 31, 2002, 06:05 PM   #1
COREY CARSON

Are Tradition In Lines Any Good?

I am looking at a Traditions Tracker in line for $ 165.65 Canadian. It has a 209 ignition system and holds 1150 grains of powder.I am wondering if they are reliable and somewhat ccurate. I am not looking for a tack driver, but I want something I can clean easily (as easy as any black powder rifle is), and something that will hit the vitals on a deer at 100 yards. I know they are not as good quality as a Thompson, Knight, Remington, etc, but I cannot afford $500-$600 for a high grade on now.
Old July 31, 2002, 06:29 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

The barrels are good, and that's the important part, they are great starter guns to see if you like muzzle loading, or if you only pull it out each year just to hunt, and put it right back away, you'll be set forever.

I'm a little leary of touching off a BP gun containing anything over 5-600 grains powder, however. What caliber are you shooting that's gonna hold 1150??

JM
Old July 31, 2002, 08:04 PM   #3
COREY CARSON

Sorry about that, it is supposed to be 150 grains. I call this problem "big clumsy finger syndrome". I am just looking for something to play with that I can use for hunting. I have all the equipment to shoot one already, so all it will cost me is the gun and the primers. I have a traditional CVA that does nothing but misfire during the winter, (solved most of it with new caps and different powder) but I still like the idea of hunting with a muzzleloader. The major drawback is the cleaning when I am done, so I like this idea beacuse I can remove the breech plug and clean it like my Ruger No. 1.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:54 PM   #4
jjmorgan64

Aw shucks, I wanted to know what cannon you were using,

It sounds like exactly what you want IMHO

JM
Old August 4, 2002, 02:50 PM   #5
Jimmy Mac

It is harder and takes more time to clean an inline than a real rifle.

Your CVA misfiring can be cured by using real blackpowder and hunting with a clean dry gun. Also the CVA nipple is junk. Use a Hot Shot nipple.

Useing Pryodex in a dirty gun with a CVA nipple does not work.