The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 20, 2013, 08:26 AM   #26
bbqbob51

Every one is different; in how they dress, how they want to carry and what they would consider heavy. I first attempted to carry a 9mm Stoeger Cougar but could not comfortably conceal it and it felt very heavy to me. I know there are those out there that carry a full sized 1911 or a Ruger GP100/S&W 686 but for the life of me I can't figure out how they do it.
I finally settled on a snub nosed revolver for carry because of the simplicity of operation and ease of concealment. The GP100 snubby is even heavier than the aforementioned Cougar so I immediately ruled that out. I considered the SP101 but at 26 oz. it is almost as heavy as the 32 oz Cougar. I settled on the 13 oz. 38spl Ruger LCR which I usually carry in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. It works for me whether summer or winter, whether I wear jeans and heavy jacket or shorts and T-shirt. It is very comfortable for me and I actually forget I have it on me so it works for me. In a bad situation a gun on me is better than one resting in my gun safe.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:39 AM   #27
tomrkba

Those GP100 grips are very long. Badger grips makes a boot length grip for it and the shorter grip is easier to conceal.

Quote:
I first attempted to carry a 9mm Stoeger Cougar but could not comfortably conceal it and it felt very heavy to me. I know there are those out there that carry a full sized 1911 or a Ruger GP100/S&W 686 but for the life of me I can't figure out how they do it.
Attitude is primary. "A gun should be comforting, not comfortable." This is not meant literally. A Glock 19 is extremely comfortable to carry. The purpose of the quote is to make sure you have enough gun for the task. Jim Cirillo said nobody engaged in a gun fight wished for a smaller gun with smaller caliber and less ammunition. A (reliable) Desert Eagle in 454 Casull with 30 magazine will suddenly become very appealing!

Going to a super small gun out of laziness is as bad as walking around with an M240 machine gun. Both will cause you problems, so some compromise is necessary. Obviously, it makes sense to have small, medium and large handguns available so you can adapt as social circumstance requires. However, a good belt and a holster with forward cant do wonders for concealment. One needs to compromise less than most people think.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:58 PM   #28
craZivn

I carry my SP101 3" in AIWB every day, before that I carried my Beretta PX4 (full size) in a Crossbreed. The Crossbreed was more comfortable, but appendix carry with the smaller SP101 offers a faster draw. Either can be concealed under a reasonably loose t-shirt.

Ivan
Old April 21, 2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Kels73

I have a SP101 3" at four o'clock as I write this. I find it easy to conceal and easy to shoot. I think the most important thing in selecting a gun is to be clear on the specific application that you intend to use it for. That should drive the decision more than anything. From there, handle the guns that you're thinking about buying and shoot them if possible. Finally, realize that there's no shame in buying another gun later on down the road if you determine that the first gun doesn't quite scratch you where you itch. It can take awhile to find a gun that works well for you in a given application.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Kels73
Old April 21, 2013, 07:57 PM   #30
tomrkba

Quote:
Finally, realize that there's no shame in buying another gun later on down the road if you determine that the first gun doesn't quite scratch you where you itch.
This is how we end up with nice collections. Sell nothing!!!
Old April 25, 2013, 04:57 PM   #31
weldonjr2001

I carry my 4" GP100 in a large Tommy' gunpack on a rare occasion just to get it out of the safe. I carry my 3" SP101 much more often in a medium Tommy's or a Kabar gunpack.

The GP100 compensates for its extra size with an extra shot, better sights, and a better trigger, but the SP101 just carries so much easier for me.

I must admit that since I got my .357 LCR, I carry it more than the other two combined. It has the best factory trigger of the three, and carries like a dream.

Of course always have my trusty LCP in the weak side front pocket.

The 4" does get 1450 fps out of the Remington 125 grain SJHPs I carry versus 1350 fps for the 3", down to 1250 fps for the <2" LCR, which is a factor to be considered. (Too lazy to get up and go look at my chronograph spreadsheet but will if asked the exact velocities and corresponding muzzle energies).
Old April 25, 2013, 09:37 PM   #32
22-rimfire

Quote:
I must admit that since I got my .357 LCR, I carry it more than the other two combined. It has the best factory trigger of the three, and carries like a dream.

Of course always have my trusty LCP in the weak side front pocket.
That all sound great, but what on earth are you carrying two guns for? The only time I ever wanted a gun was the one time that I should not have one with me. Temper Temper.... Got to stay cool and in control.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:39 PM   #33
riggins_83

I do love my SP101 and carried it IWB (Don Hume leather holster). Not many CC holster options for the GP100.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:51 PM   #34
TenRing

All of the major holster makers offer concealment holsters for the GP100. I like the DeSantis offering. Also, any holster made for the S&W 686 will work for the GP100, so there should be no problem finding a holster.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #35
superspirit

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with, I have both the GP 100 4" and an SP 101 2" da only. I only carry the SP 101 and find it too heavy for any pocket and carry it in a fobus OWB holster. am waiting on the LGS to get a LCR 22 mag, as I want something a little lighter and more concealable, but thats me. You have to be comfortable with the size, weight, accuracy and energy of whatever you decide to carry. a hit with a 22 mag far out weighs a miss with a 44 mag. and in the case of when you need it most control is key. best of luck to you on whichever you decide. they are both fabulous guns especially with a wolf shooters pack installed.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:40 PM   #36
chaim

Size and weight most definitely make a difference in carry. If this is going to be your only gun or only carry gun, I'd go with the SP101 hands down. If you have other carry guns and want a revolver to occasionally carry, then either may work.

I don't have either the SP101 or GP100, but I have several revolvers. My small snubs (Taurus 85CH, Rossi 461, S&W 442) all disappear IWB quite easily and are pretty pleasant to carry. My 3" K-frame S&W 65LS isn't bad and conceals easily in the winter time (under layers of clothes), but is tougher in the summer. It is doable, but takes some planning. The K-frame is about halfway between the GP100 and SP101 in size. I had an L-frame S&W 685 (about the same size as a GP100) and it would be a little tougher than a K-frame in the winter and fairly difficult to conceal in the summer. Finally, I have a large-frame S&W 625 Mountain Gun, it takes a lot of planning and work to successfully conceal it. For an everyday carry, I'd want an auto or a revolver no larger than the SP101 (though, in a pinch, something the size of the S&W 65LS could be done everyday).

That said, I am a big fan of a 3" .357mag for defensive use, and not many are made anymore. The little S&W J-frames are too small and light for comfortable use of magnum loads so the S&W 60 is out. That leaves the GP100, SP101 and S&W 685. The Talo edition Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp is the only Ruger DA handgun I think I have ever actually looked at and thought it was a beautiful gun. I like the fiber optic sight, and the fact that it would be relatively easy to swap it out for a night sight. Still, I have other revolvers and it would only be used on special occasions.

After some extensive research, I had decided that for myself, a 3" Ruger SP101 in .327mag would make about a perfect summer carry revolver. Heavy enough to tame the recoil pretty well, still relatively light, near .357mag power levels, 6 shots, and pretty easy to conceal IWB. Of course, they discontinued it. So, I am considering the 5 shot .357mag version. My other option for a summer carry revolver is the Taurus Tracker but it has a 4" barrel (6 shots, a little smaller than the S&W K-frame, about an ounce heavier than a 3" SP101).

So, again, what is the background, the setting this revolver will enter? Do you have other guns to carry? If so, the GP100 is fine, will be easier to shoot well (due to the weight), and you have something else to carry when you can't/won't carry the larger GP100. If this will be your only carry gun, the GP100 is too large (even as a 3"). In this case, definitely the SP101 is the way to go, especially in the 3" version.

Tags
.327 , .357 , gp100 , ruger , sp101