The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 30, 2012, 06:16 PM   #26
BGutzman

Im not sure of your overall level of experience shooting pistols.. I would not recommend Glock.. any Glock as a pistol for anyone without a fair amount of experience... Glocks are basic and unforgiving of errors and lately reliability of Glock brand might be less than what it has been in the past... I also wouldnt recommend Taurus because its a coin toss on if you get a functional weapon.

Im sure someone has recommended it but many places have a gunshop where you can rent and try guns and simply see what you like.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:55 PM   #27
JimmyR

I am not very familiar with firing handguns, so thats why I am looking mostly at the S&W and the Beretta. I was originally debating between a 38 special revolver and a 9mm revolver, but when I started looking at what I currently own, I decided a 9mm would be the best addition.

At this point, however, I just found out that my Beretta has a catch in the slide. When I attempt to chamber a round by pulling the slide, instead of directly loading it into the chamber. It doesn't seem like its going to affect its firing, but I think retiring it might be the best idea.

With this in mind, I think its going to change some of my plans for firearm purchasing. I think I am going to end up buying a new 9mm and then maybe a used revolver, either in 38spec or 357, depending on what I can find.
Old June 1, 2012, 04:45 AM   #28
akguy1985

I'd get the M&P if it were me. I had an M&P .40 and liked it quite a bit.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:47 AM   #29
JimmyR

Change of plan

So I was going to wait and get my autoloader first, but lo and behold, i found a guy that wants to sell his Model 36 3" S&W for $350. pics look good, and once I verify its not stolen, it may be added to my growing gun collection. That said, its gonna delay any future gun purchases. I'm getting plenty of overtime at work, so we'll see how this goes...

Tags
advice , handgun help , revolover , semi-auto hand guns