The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2015, 05:26 AM   #1
SARuger

Has anyone ever used the Mcarbo springs for the 870 trigger?

I was ordering a set for my Marlin 60 and 795 and saw that they make a set for the 870 so I ordered 4. It should make my triggers lighter. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried them.

For $22 for 4 trigger spring sets and free shipping I figured I couldn't go too wrong!
Old January 2, 2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

The gunsmith I use thought a light trigger was a bad idea on an 870 kept for defense. You might also consider that shotguns have been known to fire when dropped, although some argue that they are safe enough as is, which is another topic discussed in other threads. No need to hijack this one to beat that horse.
Old January 2, 2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Pahoo

Dual purpose

Somewhat associated with the 870. A few years back, I had an 1100, that I used for everything and it was a game-getter. I had a spare trigger group that had this type of springs set installed. It provided with a lighter/crisper trigger pull for my "slug" hunting. It shot more like a rifle than a shotgun and it handled great. Then when hunting "Upland" game I went back to the stock trigger so it shot like a shotgun. There was a clear difference between each one but not that hard to make the transition. .....

I have read that you pull the trigger on a shotgun and squeeze a trigger on a rifle. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Virginian

Remington sells a target sear spring, and that's all I would ever change on an 870. I have changed about every spring there is in rifles and revolvers, but to me there is a big difference. Wolff are my go to guys for springs.