The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Cowboy_mo

? about installation of new sights on Kimber Compact II

I found Meprolight night sights for my Kimber Compact II on opticsplanet. They are on sale for $80 right now. I would like to get these for my pistol.

The kicker is they also strongly recommend I buy a Meprolight installation tool to install the sights on the pistol. That little jewel costs an additional $55.

Do gunsmiths already have this tool or would I be out the cost of purchasing the tool plus the gunsmith charges for installation? The sights are dovetailed into the slide.

So would I be better off to just pay a gunsmith to do the installation or to purchase the tool and try to do it myself?
Old September 29, 2011, 07:01 PM   #2
orionengnr

If you are doing it once, I'm not sure you need to spring for the tool. I would guess that most decent 'smiths would have the tool, and I wouldn't guess they would charge more than $20-25 to install night sights. Another option would be to contact Kimber and see if you could send in the slide only (no FFL or FedEx/UPS requirement) and ask how much they would charge

If yo decide to try it yourself, I removed the standard sights on my Kimber (and installed TruGlo TFOs) using a brass punch and a hammer. I removed the slide and laid it on it's side on a piece of carpet (on my bench). Held the slide down with the heel of my left hand, held the punch with thumb/forefinger of my left hand, hammer in right hand.

Another way mght be to hold the slide with your left hand, the punch with your right, and have a helper swing the hammer.

Someone recently posted that you should use a heavy hammer and light taps. Sounds like a reasonable premise, but be careful...a big hammer can leave a big mark/dent.

If you have any doubts, better a few dollars spent than a lifetime of regret...

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Old September 29, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Cowboy_mo

Thanks for the suggestion

orionengnr, I hadn't thought about checking with Kimber for installation. I have 'pulled the trigger' on the sights and will check with Kimber and some local gunsmiths regarding installation. I definitely agree with you about the value of spending a few $ vs. having a lifetime of regret.

The pistol was an anniversary present from my wife and I sure don't want to make any mistakes with it.
Old September 30, 2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

Update

I talked to Kimber today and their custom shop gets over $100 for mounting the sights and shipping the slide back to me.

So that means I'm looking for a good gunsmith that will do a quality job for a more reasonable price. Anyone have any recommendations????
Old September 30, 2011, 11:08 PM   #5
orionengnr

Yes, that is ridiculous. We are talking 15 minutes of work, including a 10-minute coffee break.

I would check with some local smiths and see what they have to say. Make sure they are reputable, as some people who call themselves gunsmiths are actually as metal butchers. Maybe some Missouri member will chime in with a recommendation.

Or, if you are confident and competent, consider doing it yourself. When I did mine I was a bit nervous (because I had read several posts about how hard they were to remove), but it was no big deal.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Jerry45

Good bras or aluminum drift (I us bras), good vice, 2 pieces of wood, rag or better yet piece of leather, 8 oz or larger ball-peen hammer and they will come right out. Remember left to right for out and right to left to install.

Made this drift for removing sights. Used it on my Kimber and the sight slid right out.

Don’t be afraid to give it a good whack to get it started. Take note of the bevels on the drift. That’s so only the edge of the drift touches the base of the sight at the slide. If you leave a brass mark on the dovetail Hoppies # 9 and a plastic brush take it right off.

Tip: Mark on the slide with a pencil where both sides of the original sights are located before moving them. It will help in centering the new sight.

Last edited by Jerry45; October 1, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old October 13, 2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Got the sights mounted

My gunsmith friend did the job for 2 six packs of Corona and did a beautiful job. Someone at Kimber thought putting loctite under the dovetails was a good idea and it took a lot of work to get the old ones out. A bit of precision filing and the Meprlight's slipped right on.

I love the sights and am very happy that I didn't attempt this job on my own.
Old October 13, 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
7jinxed7

When I bought my Mepro's several years ago the gunshop i bought them from installed them free. Great gun shop. I was going to say don't use a punch to install them but it looks like you have it already taken care off.