The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #26
KurtC

All you could possibly want to know about the M1A.

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/index.php
Old December 16, 2010, 10:38 AM   #27
SR420

All you could possibly want to know about the M14 without the over-moderation found on other forums.

Rifle-Company

Different's Forum on EBRsopmods

The largest internet forum dedicated to the Modernized M14 EBR

Old December 16, 2010, 11:28 AM   #28
B. Lahey

Quote:
Don't let much of anything more viscous than oil to get into the action in decent quantities.
Worst advice possible for keeping an M14ish rifle running.

They need grease.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:43 AM   #29
SR420

Quote:
Volucris

Don't let much of anything more viscous than oil to get into the action in decent quantities.
WRONG!

Quote:
B. Lahey

Worst advice possible for keeping an M14ish rifle running.

They need grease.
CORRECT!

Quote:
Volucris

They are fairly reliable rifles as said above but our military switched to something
a little more grunt-friendly because the M1A design really couldn't be helped anymore.
1. The 'M1A design' is the civilian copy of the military M14 battle rifle.
2. The M14 has been helped a great deal and is currently serving in AFG plus other places.

Volucris, Google TACOM M14EBR-RI and M21A5 Crazy Horse... learn something instead of spreading disinformation.

Old December 16, 2010, 01:02 PM   #30
Logs

Mine has never given me a problem with many brands of ammo. Got mine for $1,200 used and love it. Someday I would like to get a SOCOM model.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:26 PM   #31
hornet41

Got 2. A STD. and a Scout. Run like a scalded dogs!! Never had any problems!!
Old December 16, 2010, 08:58 PM   #32
Jo6pak

I've had my Scout for several years and maybe close to 1000 rounds. Had a few feeding failures that were traced back to a bad magazine, but otherwise it's been flawless. I haven't replaced any machanical parts, just added a Vltor stock and Trijicon scope.

A buddy has had his Standard M1A for as long as I can remember (10+ yrs) He loves it, but did replace his extractor after a claimed 5000+ rounds.

Thats all the personal experience I can add to the conversation. I won't spread any rumors
Old December 17, 2010, 01:00 AM   #33
OJ

I bought mine used - the rear sight would shoot loose - lose its zero - in about 1 box of ammo - may have reflected the care - or lack of - by previous owner. I replaced sights with the XS sights made for the M1A - rear sight aperture is twice that on the stock to give ghost ring effect -

The dealer had done good with cleaning it up - now it's just great with no other problems !!!
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old December 17, 2010, 09:28 AM   #34
chuter

My '99 Loaded has worked well with a variety of ammo. It digests just about everything but you have to make sure to zero for different ammo. It has no problem keeping everything in the black.
I like my AR-10T but keep that for Black Hills moly only.
The M1A is a lot of fun to shoot.
I suggest you invest in both designs and others (FAL, etc.) when your budget allows.
Old December 17, 2010, 03:12 PM   #35
chaz12

I had an M1A for several years. After I had it about 3 years ( maybe 2000 rounds fired) it developed a problem where the bolt would jam back in the retracted position after cycling a round and could not be released. Then after a couple of hours when I got home, the bolt would release normally.

I sent it back to SA and they replaced the gas tube and the entire receiver. They paid shipping both ways, but I never felt as confident in the rifle's quality after that. The problem did not happen again before I ended up selling the rifle since I had become interested in getting a high quality bolt action .308.

Chaz
Old December 17, 2010, 03:21 PM   #36
raftman

I've seen a guy at the range with an M1A with all sorts of reliability issues. He got a little angry and blamed the cheap Wolf ammo. Maybe that's what it was.

But then every .308 I've ever fired (granted that's only three different rifles) seemed to handle Wolf without issues, even the Century Arms CETME with it's questionable-at-best build quality digested Wolf without complaint.
Old December 18, 2010, 07:53 PM   #37
FALshootist

Although I'm very happy with my Century FAL (I got lucky and it is very reliable and accurate), I've always been a fan of the M14.

Reading this thread has made it apparent that there is no reason to dump my accurate and reliable FAL for a SA M1A. So my question (and I'm sure the OP would appreciate an answer) for those posters that are knowlegable about the M14/M1A platform is:

Which manufacturer makes a quality M14 patern rifle for a reasonable price?
Old December 19, 2010, 12:39 AM   #38
OJ

My problem I posted about the rear sight above may be misleading - mine was bought used and the previous owner may have been responsible for the sight problem.

I think the replacement with XS Ghost Ring set is something I would have done anyway - the white stripe on the front one is tritium - if you can think of a reason for a night sight -

Other than that, it has been completely reliable, accurate, otherwise trouble free, and a total ball to shoot - digesting all factory ammo I've shot in it - for nearly 13 years now. I really like the composite stock - makes it "bullet-proof - so to speak. I can toss it in my Pilot and have it with me any time I want to shoot and not worry about dinging the wood.

It's top of the list of my favorites - which says a lot.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old December 19, 2010, 08:21 AM   #39
AK103K

My SOCOM came with the XS set up. While they do work for close range shooting, they suck for anything past 75-100 yards for any type of "precision" shooting. If you expect to shoot at these distances or beyond, youre better off with the standard M14 sights.
Old December 19, 2010, 07:32 PM   #40
oneshot onekill

After reading this thread I see an interesting trend. It seems nearly all who actually own an M1A have experienced little or no problems with them. Personally, I'm on my second Supermatch M1A and I find them as reliable as ANY Semi-auto .308 Battle rifle and far more accurate. Keep in mind I said ".308 Battle rifle". I'd put either of my M1A's up against anything HK or FN ever produced. If you want one, get one. You will not have any more problems with it than any other rifle.
Old December 19, 2010, 07:38 PM   #41
pythagorean

Quote:
I'd put either of my M1A's up against anything HK or FN ever produced. If you want one, get one. You will not have any more problems with it than any other rifle.
Right. After all the M1-As I've owned. I wish I kept them all, including the expensive Match model over $2,900 I got in Ft. Huachuca.

Now all I have is this little thing in the M1-A:

It's easily the choice for "the one rifle" man under all circumstances as far as I am concerned.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:00 PM   #42
AK103K

Quote:
I'd put either of my M1A's up against anything HK or FN ever produced.
Ive owned multiples of all three.

For a "target" gun, hands down, a decent M14. They do make a good target rifle. Other than that, meh.

For an all around general combat rifle, the HK G3/91, without hesitation. Its boringly reliable and as accurate as an equivalent M14/M1A. Its got one the best combat iron sight systems going, and also has the ability to have a remove and replace, zero repeatable optic, without the need to modify the gun. It also has one of the best/usable/realistic sling set ups.

The "real" FN's/FAL's are OK, but thats about it. They are reliable, but I never found them anything more than mediocre as far as accuracy goes.

Last edited by AK103K; December 19, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:22 PM   #43
SR420

M14 for an all around, do everything well general purpose combat rifle.
Old December 19, 2010, 08:32 PM   #44
Therealkoop

If you ask for people who have had problems, all you are going to get for replies are people with problems.

The only real problematic issue with the M1a seems to occasionally be the extractor.

My personal gun eats whatever i want, and is accurate as well. Now, i only personally know 5 people + myself with an m1a, so its a pretty small data sample, but NONE of us have problems, and have never had problems.

As for m14's, SAI is surely the bottom of the barrel, but that doesnt make them bad. SAI also has awesome CS and a good warrantee as well. If you want an m14 from another manufacturer, get your wallet ready.

If you do have a problem, the guys on the m14 forum will clear it up quick.
Old December 19, 2010, 10:06 PM   #45
10mmAuto

Quote:
The "real" FN's/FAL's are OK, but thats about it. They are reliable, but I never found them anything more than mediocre as far as accuracy goes
Agreed on the FAL but an average SCAR-H will outpace an M1A in every respect - weight, modular features accuracy, ergonomics, etc. If you want an M1A that will perform at the level of a SCAR you're looking at spending at least 4,500 dollars for the rifle before optics.
Old December 19, 2010, 11:57 PM   #46
pythagorean

So we are back to the occasional lemon rifle found in any company.
Go Springfield which is obviously beyond the means of the perps saying SA is less than the rest and be happy!
Old December 20, 2010, 09:14 AM   #47
AK103K

Some company's are in the lemon business.

I believe Springfield is one of the above, or else they wouldnt have a marketing division pushing lemon "aid" so hard. The few other companies just sell rifles.

Springfield isnt beyond my means either. I just wouldnt waste my money on another, or at least until they go retro, and make things like they used to.
Old December 20, 2010, 09:22 AM   #48
SR420

Quote:
I just wouldnt waste my money on another, or at least until they go retro, and make things like they used to.
Agreed.

Tags
assault rifle , battle rifle , m1a , springfield