The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 17, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
DougP

just got home

From Friendship In. We ( a friend of mine ) Dave and myself got there Sunday afternoon after a short stop on the river to have lunch, relax and watch the boats run up and down on the river. After we got the tent up we leaned back and had a cool one then got ready to fix supper. This is the first time we took a eletric skillet but -- in to it went some yams with pinapples and brown sugar in the corner, beside it went some fish and about that time a man brought over some of the bigest srimp I have ever seen and in the pan they went. In between stiring and smelling we got out the plates and bread and by then there just seemed to a couple more guests sitting there. After the lets not talk dinner because it was so good we relaxed with a piece of pie and some coffee. We all eat more than we should but when we were all done there was still plenty of food left over. We talked about how we were going to shoot the next day and what kind of guns we had. Several more gentlemen joined us and just think this was just the first day. It could only get better. It would have been really nice if so of you folk could have joined us-- you would have had a great time. Before long a couple of guns trades hands and everyone had a smile ontheir face. Gentlemen -- until you go there you just will not understand. At seven AM the I heard the call from the line " are you ready on the left-- are you ready on the right....." this thrill continued every day untill we had to leave last night. It's nice to get home -- but it was wounderfull when we were there.
Later my friends.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Erich

What a great visit! Thanks for sharing - made me smile.
Old September 18, 2009, 02:19 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you were there many years earlier, you would have met the king of moochers, the well loved ex-president Max Vickery, who always wandered around camp with a spoon in his pocket. I used to bring him a six or twelve pack, sit down and shoot the breeze for hours with him.
Old September 18, 2009, 02:49 PM   #4
sundance44s

Max Vickery sounds like a fellow that camps at our Rondys ...at supper time he walks around the camps with a spoon and a tin cup in his hand ....he stops at every fire and samples the food ...ha ha ( we call him FatBoy )

I`m going to try and make a trip to Friendship maybe next spring ...Tin Tee Pee and lots of guns and powder .
Old September 18, 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
DougP

4V50 I have met Max. He was a great fellow.
For the rest of the fellows that have never been there.....
The following day we wondered through the gun makers room -- Oh my was there some wounderful guns in there.

The old pistol guys ( that's what I am ) all are now shooting part of the day and sleeping right behind the firing line in the afternoon. And I thought I was the only one that did that. One friend picked up a Ruger SS 1 of 200 with a trade of a couple long rifle barrels. And that evening they had on the grill squirel, chicken, ( they had to buy some shrimp ) from the same guy that camped beside us. Oh yea -- more food. There were several other pistols in the pistol shed for sale when I was there.

Guys this is the place to buy one. You get to shoot it before you buy it-- good idea, I think so.

All of the vendors now stay open till 9:00 PM Monday night only and during the evening they have wine, crackers, cheese, beef sandwiches -- yep more food.
When we got back from watching the shotgun line about 10:00 PM --we fired up the grill and put on some dogs, several ears of corn and hamburgers. Boy does that make the beer taste good.

The next day we shot, Dave his rifle, myself the pistol. After shooting and then wondering around the flee market we were plenty tired. You do remember the flee market don't you ??

Any body else go down this or any other year ???