The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Altered Ego

Nipple Question...

I just received a pack of Treso replacement nipples for my Ruger Old Army and there is a significant difference in the flash channel diameters between the old ones I'm replacing and the new Treso ones. The old ones have a .046" diameter opening and the new Treso ones are less than .040" (My drill bits sizes only go down to .040"). I'm wanting to make sure these replacement nipples have the correct flash channel diameter. Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 9, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Andy Griffith

I'm not certain on the Rugers, but on the Uberti and Pietta Treso replacements they are smaller, but more importantly- the flash hole at the base of the nipple is much smaller.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Altered Ego,

The reason for the smaller orifice is to reduce blowback that has a tendency to blow expended caps off the nipples. The smaller diameter orifice is correct.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 10, 2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Altered Ego

Thanks for the replies!
Old December 10, 2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Not only that, a smaller exit hole concentrates the fire (reportedly) giving better ignition. Treso is the standard for most serious ml shooters. I'm confident you will get good service from them.