The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 09:35 AM   #51
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba
The RIA tactical is probably the only one that can be considered comparable to the PT1911 price wise, and its made from casted steel, ...
Incorrect.

RIA's slides are forged, their frames are investment cast. And before you dismiss investment cast, remember that All Ruger frames are investment cast, and when's the last time anyone dismissed a Ruger Redhawk as a weak gun because it's not forged? And let's not forget that when FN introduced the Hi-Power in .40 S&W, they STOPPED using forged frames and changed TO investment vast because they were better able to stand up to the more powerful chambering.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:00 PM   #52
bitttorrrent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitttorrent
I love my Pt1911, but it is an older build - have to look at it but at least 10-12 years ago.

I'm almost certain that Taurus was not making 1911s 10 or 12 years ago
Yes you are right. I knew I should have checked.
Anyway, I did check the serial number on the excellent Taurus web site and in fact it was made in 2007!
Since it was in the family (i did not purchase) I had thought it was around longer than that. How time flies!

Still one of my favorite guns!
Old December 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #53
cuba

Reality Check

Aguila, so let me ask you, if Ruger were to make as an option a SR1911 from hammer forged steel you would still prefer their cast SR1911? or if Wilson, Bear, Nighthawk, or Guncrafter were to make as an option their 1911 out of investment cast you would choose it over the forged steel models ?
Be for real.
Not saying that there is anything wrong with investment cast, but given a choice I will always choose hammer forge over cast any day, regardless of FN motivation for their decision.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old December 3, 2012, 11:00 PM   #54
Mosin44az

My PT1911 BROKE its hammer AND its thumb safety in the first 300 rounds. Cheap parts. Based on my personal experience, NO, Taurus is NOT better than others in the same price range, or even less (Rock Island, by reputation).
Old December 4, 2012, 12:01 AM   #55
gunfighter48

Code:
My PT1911 BROKE its hammer AND its thumb safety in the first 300 rounds. Cheap parts. Based on my personal experience, NO, Taurus is NOT better than others in the same price range, or even less (Rock Island, by reputation).
This proves absolutely nothing. The only gun that has ever broken on me in 52 years of shooting was an STI Ranger II. The barrel link broke after 450 rounds fired and it cost $1300. Parts break it's a fact of life.

I owned two PT1911 blued models, bought them about 1.5 years after they came out. Both shot thru about 3,000 rounds with absolutely no malfunctions and with every brand of ammo I fed them. I've owned Colt, Kimber, STI, and the PT 1911s shot just as well as any of the other brands. They are as good as any others in that price range.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:42 AM   #56
thedudeabides

I inspected two and shot one at a local range that lets you test drive a gun before buying.

Checkering looked ugly and uneven and the slides rattled (I know that the slide fit being crap isn't a factor in accuracy and my mk IV Super 38 rattles like a box of old car parts).

The PT shoots like any other 1911 in its price range, most guns will outshoot the marksmanship of their owners.

Ambi safety fell off at 20 rounds.

I have a "cheap" RIA Tactical, and it looks and feels more solid than any PT I've handled.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:44 AM   #57
Officer's Match

Other than my Gold Cups, all of my Colts have had more slide-to-frame play than the PT1911 I owned.

I could have gone into more detail as to why mine got "bid" away from me. There is an almost intangible about a pistol that is running in such a way that you can "just tell" that it is no where near a malfunction, just running "like a sewing machine" as they say. Sigs thru the 80's used to evoke that kind of feel. This PT had "it", and literally felt better firing than the Colts and Kimbers I would typically range with it. Even the ejection was uncanny - coulda' put a bucket on the first one out and the rest would likely land in it. Was I lucky with the one I had? I have no doubt. Nonetheless, it was a superb shooter that I frankly wish was in my Brommeland today.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:47 AM   #58
nicknitro71

I have one in SS. Great gun for a forged piece at that price. I converted mine to series 70, replace the bushing with a hand-fitted EGW as the original had a lot of play. I replaced the ugly stock plastic grips and got rid of the stock hammer with the integral lock. Even with all the after-market parts, it was still a great deal. The bushing fixed some accuracy issues, and the trigger pull is 2.5 lbs with no creep. I'd buy it again no-doubt but now I'd probably choose the Ruger 1911.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #59
Venom1956

Quote:
if Wilson, Bear, Nighthawk, or Guncrafter were to make as an option their 1911 out of investment cast
Cuba, I know some wilson frames are cast...

I also find it humorous that MIM doesn't seem to bother you but you dislike cast parts. As long as they are made correctly Forged and Cast will win out over MIM any day of the week.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 4, 2012, 05:53 PM   #60
Tucker 1371

I had one in black with a rail and it was an excellent gun for the money. I only put about 600 rounds through it but as soon as I upgraded to McCormick mags it fed fine, no hiccups if fed good 230gr FMJ. I never tried using anything other than FMJ however. It was very accurate, FAR outshot my brothers Rock Island Tactical, shot as well as my buddy's Colt and nearly as good as my Springfield.

My biggest beef is that it was UGLY. The slide looks like a Taurus billboard, the serrations on the right side of the slide were significantly shallower than those on the right, and the rail extends so far down that it is difficult to find a carry holster it will fit in.

I bought it new in 2010 for $575 and sold it back in March for $450, the new owner is a buddy in my platoon and he says it hasn't jammed on him yet after an additional 500 rounds.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 4, 2012, 06:47 PM   #61
Magnum Mike

You could buy 4 Hi-Points too.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:25 PM   #62
cuba

Venom, can you elaborate on your statement and share with us which Wilson model is supplied with a cast frame ?

You keep putting words in my mouth, I never said I didn't like cast but given a choice I would choose hammer forged over it all things being equal, and as far as MIM if machine steel was priced like MIM I would choose it over MIM, not saying that there is anything wrong with MIM parts.

Old December 4, 2012, 07:51 PM   #63
Venom1956

Railed Wilsons use the Cast Caspian frames to my knowledge.

I just do understand why you'd fret over the use of casting in firearms in the frame or slide when your ok with MIM internals. It just seems strange is all?

you just seem so hung up on them being forged? Can you please explain why?

All things considered I'd say MIM is the LEAST impressive method of making gun parts I've ever seen. While I wouldn't knock a gun for using it. I'm just confused why you are so concerned with slides and frames being forged rather then the actual bits that are important? I'd take a cast slide/frame gun with superior internals then a forged slide/framed gun full of MIM. Just my .02
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 4, 2012, 08:25 PM   #64
cuba

Venom, unfortunately for you most cast framed 1911 come equipped full of MIM parts, and the only way that you will find machine steel parts in a 1911 is if you go up to the custom or semi-custom 1911, get over it, MIM is hear to stay.

I'm just glad that at least the PT1911 is made of hammer forged steel even though it has quality MIM parts, if not I'd be paying out the wazo.

Last edited by cuba; December 4, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:38 PM   #65
Venom1956

Cuba, relax man I'm just trying to understand your view point.

I think I kinda see where your coming from.
So you feel that sincew the pt1911 has the forged frame and slide if somethin needed to be replaced or you chose to upgrade would rather do it to the all forged then a cast frame or all cast gun.

I realize budget 1911s will have MIM I'd just prefer getting one with the least amount possible is all. Just another way we differ.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:37 AM   #66
cuba

Venom, though that was one of my initial consideration, after experiencing the quality of the MIM parts produced by Taurus, if ever any of the parts were to fail I will probably contact Taurus and have them send me a new parts(no sense in upgrading a quality part), I guess thats the whole purpose to the life time warranty, I've been totally satisfied with my PT1911.

Old December 5, 2012, 08:19 PM   #67
mes228

PT1911

I've owned three and they were all good pistols. One had an "oversize"firing pin hole in the breech face. That resulted in primers bulging slightly into depression around the firing pin. Taurus replaced the pistol, however it did take a few weeks. The PT1911's were good shooters then ( back when they first came out) don't know about now. One I owned soundly trounced my Colt Gold Cup so I traded the Gold Cup off. I've had good luck with the few Taurus pistols I've owned.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:24 AM   #68
4runnerman

All i can say is mine has been great. I did when i first got it somehow i stepped on a clip and broke it. (225Lbs of Muscle on me ya know.) I called Taurus the next day,explained that i had stepped on it. With in 4 days i had 2 ( yes 2 ) brand new clips being dropped of by Fed Ex for free. Now i hear a lot of people talk trash about their customer service. I would have to agree, In my case that was very poor customer service, I mean to make me have to wait 4 days for 2 new ones that i broke. I also had to wait like 3 or 4 rings on the phone for them to answer.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:09 AM   #69
KyJim

Quote:
RIA's slides are forged, their frames are investment cast.
When did RIA start using forged slides? I have always read, including posts by Ivan, that they were made from extruded steel. The STI Spartan (also made by Armscor), on the other hand, does use a forged slide.