The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 28, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Venom1956

Hunting for Whitetail (WI) suppressor?

Hello,

My father is looking to get a suppressor for his hunting rifle (30-06) or a new rifle/suppressor combo. I just want to make sure that it is in fact legal to do so on public land?

GemTech has this stating that it is legal in WI

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf...OMPILATION.pdf

I am just looking for more info. Gonna hit the DNR website next to see what that brings up.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 7, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Theohazard

If Gemtech says it's legal, then it almost certainly is. That said, if you want to verify it there are many other reputable websites that give information on suppressor laws on a state-by-state basis. And you can always go to your state's official hunting laws website, though that might take a lot of searching. I know in my state there are no laws against hunting with a suppressor, which means it's just not mentioned in the state hunting laws.

As far as what suppressor your dad should use, I'd recommend a .308 can; most will work fine with a .30-06 (or any other round of similar pressure or less, and of the same or smaller diameter bullet). And I'd recommend a thread-on can if you don't plan to use it on multiple rifles; they're usually more accurate than quick-detach cans and you don't need to buy an extra muzzle device. The AAC Cyclone is a great thread-on .308 can. It's very quiet and durable; heck, it's strong enough that it's full-auto rated.

Keep in mind that many rifles don't have barrels thick enough to allow them to be threaded with the standard 5/8x24 threads, and the ones that do are too heavy for many people to want to take hunting. Most rifles with pre-threaded barrels are heavy-barreled marksman rifles and are heavy enough that I wouldn't want to lug them around on a hunting trip.

There are very few, if any, .30-06 hunting-weight rifles on the market with flared and 5/8x24 threaded muzzles, so your dad will probably have to have his rifle threaded in 1/2x28 (provided his barrel is at least 1/2 thick) and then use a 5/8x24 adaptor.