The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 24, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1
brmfan

Blackout subsonics not cycling

Trying to get Rem 220 subs to cycle. Ejects but won't pick up next round and closes on empty chamber.

Using a 16" new ER Shaw barrel with carbine length system on a Bushmaster upper and lower, A2 front sight base, and BCM M16 carrier with standard buffer spring. Tried both carbine and H2 buffers.

Standard buffer was a no-go but got it to cycle 2 rounds only a couple times with the H2. Still won't hold open on last shot using new Pmags. Running the BCG pretty wet and using a YHM 7.62 Phantom on brake QD mount. Cycles just fine with supersonics.

I'm leaning toward enlarging the gas ports (until I can get an SBR stamp) but any other suggestions??
Old February 24, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

If you re-load you need to try some different loads to see what works best in your rifle. A lot of folks use adjustable gas blocks on the 300 Blackout in able to shoot both sonic and sub sonic rounds. I am fortunate in that my 16" shoots both sonic and subsonic with a fixed gas block but apparently there is a huge variation in makes. If all else fails try 300blktalk.com where the constant 300 users hide out. Have you tried any sonic loads yet?
Old February 24, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
brmfan

UT: Already been all over that sight. Yes, super sonics work just fine, both the 115 and 147's. As I said, I almost got it to cycle with the 220's using the H2 buffer, but I'm thinking it's simply undergassed. Wanted a second opinion before going the gas port widening route.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

Occassionally you hear of a gas block not being seated correctly over the barrel where the gas flow is slightly blocked. Is your gas block pinned or clamped to the barrel?
Old February 25, 2013, 05:02 PM   #5
CCCLVII

you havent been shooting cast bullets have you? I did that to a Desert Eagle and at first it would only cycle hot ammo then it cycled nothing. It was not a cheep fix
Old February 25, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
brmfan

Nope. Just factory.

UT: It's a pinned A2 front sight base.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:07 AM   #7
ShamrockArmory

Cast bullets in anything with a gas operating system is a big no go.

Purity of heart, strength of arms, and truth in words.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
eodinert

You can get away with cast lead in a 300 with subsonics because the velocity is so low.

It sounds like a gas port/gas flow issue to me, were I you I'd pull the front sight post and measure the port.

Also, if you SBR that barrel, depending on how short you go, it may not work with carbine gas. Short .300's really want pistol gas.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:55 PM   #9
1911rocks

Gas Tube length

Carbine or Mid-Length?
Old March 1, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

You say it cycled a couple times with a H2 buffer. Have you tried going to a buffer lighter than that? Using a lighter bolt carrier?
Old March 1, 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
tmorone

Since this is in the NFA section, is it safe to assume you're running a suppressor?

300BLK barrels are usually advertised that they won't properly cycle with subsonic ammo without a can. I've got 9" and 16" uppers in that caliber and run both with an H2 buffer. Supers cycle 100% but the subs really only work 100% when running suppressed.

The beauty of that round is that when you suppress the subsonic round using the same gas system you get very little back in your face due to over-gassing. If they won't cycle WITH a can, that's a totally different beast.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

In the first post he says

Quote:
using a YHM 7.62 Phantom on brake QD mount
So, I'd say he is using a suppressor.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:33 PM   #13
tmorone

Good eye Willie, bad job me.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
eodinert

300 will run unsuppressed subsonics if its set up right.
Old March 9, 2013, 07:49 PM   #15
brmfan

Eodinert: I'm just trying to get subsonics to run period! I checked the port and it measured just at 0.120" so being undergassed doesn't seem to be the issue. I also ordered a reduced power buffer spring, so hopefully with the H2 buffer that will solve the problem.

Otherwise, I'll just have to find a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system. However, given that everything is currently out of stock with no backorders in sight it may be quite a while before I find one.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Willie Lowman

The H2 buffer isn't the lightest buffer out there. Also, there are lighter bolt carriers available. I'd try reducing mass behind the bolt before I reduced the spring strength to keep feeding reliable. JP makes some light bolt carriers. BravoCo. has standard and H weight buffers.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; March 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #17
brmfan

Willie: I have lighter buffers and BCGs but I figured with the lower pressure the added weight of the H2 would increase the dwell time and give the carrier a bit more shove. I'll try different combinations but I'm thinking I'll just shelve the subs until I can get a barrel with a pistol length system.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #18
tmorone

brmfan,

Finding the correct carrier, spring, and buffer can be a pretty path of trial and error.

I had a rifle that wouldn't run with an AUTO carrier and any weight of buffer or spring. Even the wolff xp spring and an XH buffer from heavy buffers.com. And that buffer is all stainless with tungsten inserts (as heavy as they come).

The solution was to run the XH buffer, wolff spring, and a SEMI carrier. What sounded like something that couldn't work, did. Good luck man, it's a good feeling when everything starts to work right.