The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 27, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1
SilentScreams

Machine gun or not to machine gun?

Recently, there was a post in the forums regarding the Hughes act on the second amendment. My general question for all who care to put in there two cents...

Do you believe that machine guns are neccesary? Do you believe that they should be allowed to be purchased and owned privately?
Old March 27, 2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Powderman

Sure. And why not?

The only reason needed, IMHO, is: "Because I want one."

Moreover, with the NICS check in place, they should be sold over the counter, just like any other firearm.
Old March 27, 2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

You are asking this in the NFA section? I don't think you will find many that agree with your anti-machinegun views here.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Walther P99

The only limit to the firearms law-abiding citizens can legally purchase should be their bank accounts, and not need (who is anyone else to determine what I 'need'?) or necessity..
Old March 27, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
Do you believe that machine guns are neccesary?
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to make sure that Civilians had the ability to lawfully own the same kinds of firearms that the government could. The machine gun ban of '86 was unlawful in my opinion. It is also dangerous, because it forces civilians to own/use only machine guns made prior to 1986 and basically to have to find used parts to service these old guns.

Quote:
Do you believe that they should be allowed to be purchased and owned privately?
Absolutely. I own one - why shouldn't people be permitted to own a machine gun. Hardly any crimes are committed with legal machine guns. For that matter, very few crimes are committed with illegal machine guns. But, it doesn't matter to me what if any crimes are committed - that's completely irrelevant - the constitution guarantees our right to own firearms. And, machine guns are nothing more than firearms.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Sport45

If it weren't for the cost, I'd have a M14 and a M16 in the safe now. Probably be trying to get a Thompson too.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
SilentScreams

Quote:
You are asking this in the NFA section? I don't think you will find many that agree with your anti-machinegun views here.
Firstly, I didn't put this here to argue. I wanted opinions and I got them. I appreciate it.

Last edited by SilentScreams; March 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Skans

Quote:
Firstly, I didn't this here to argue. I wanted opinions and I got them. I appreciate it.
I checked some of your other posts and you are on the record as stating that you do not believe that civilians should be able to own machine guns. While I appreciate your right to express your opinions, this is the kind of stuff we have to battle against when it comes to folks who want to ban all kinds of guns.

The wording of your question: "do you believe that machine guns are necessary?" sort of leaves you open to getting into a debate here. You can just as easily ask:

Are bolt action rifles necessary?
Are shotguns necessary?
Are handguns necessary?
Are semi-auto rifles necessary?
Are semi-auto military style guns necessary?

Necessary for what? And what does "necessary" have to do with the right to own one? Lots of things aren't necessary - cars, planes, running water, hospitals, elections, or even freedom.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
SilentScreams

Quote:
I checked some of your other posts and you are on the record as stating that you do not believe that civilians should be able to own machine guns. While I appreciate your right to express your opinions, this is the kind of stuff we have to battle against when it comes to folks who want to ban all kinds of guns.
Of course I am. I never denied this or claimed to be for it. This is not the reason for the post. If you have an opinion, great. That's what it's for. I'm not asking you to defend your stance and I'm not defending or making any of my own. I was simply curious.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:58 AM   #10
hoytinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walther P99
The only limit to the firearms law-abiding citizens can legally purchase should be their bank accounts
Completely agree with this. IMO every law abiding citizen should be able to walk into his/her favorite gunshop and buy whatever they want from a NAA Mini .22short to a 120mm mortar or 120mm cannon for their Abrams (or even bigger, just couldn't think of anything bigger at the moment)....

I've got a registered M16 and in the 10 years I've owned it, it's never done anything illegal. My only problem with it is that nowdays I really can't afford to shoot it on "fun" alot of the time.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Fishing_Cabin

You can toss me in on of supporting machine guns, or more to the point, automatic firearms, whether they may be a machine pistol, SMG, light MG, or heavy MG, or a selct fire varient.

Why, you ask? Because its not only allowed by the 2A, but also, and more importantly, it is the one and only type of firearm, that is prohibited from being produced at this time, and sold to a law abiding civilian. I repeat, it is the only type of firearm that is unlawful to manufacture now, and sell to a law abiding civilian. Think about it. Its legal to manufacture and sell cannon, mortars, as well as hidden guns, such as pen guns, cane guns, etc, and its legal to make, and sell to a civilian a short barreled rifle/shotgun. I will put my cash money behind an effort that I feel is the best way to get this re-opened.

This is what I look to change, and willing to work toward changing with others. It will take time, but I do feel it will happen.

While I have little to no interest in some other areas of firearms, I try to support others rights to enjoy them as well.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; March 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:34 AM   #12
tepin

The reason machine guns cost so much is because they have been banned. Before 1986 they cost just as much as any other gun. Its a supply and demand issue. If BO wins a 2nd term you can bet there will be major gun legislation starting with a ban on so called assault weapons. Buy your stripped lowers now.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Skans

If
Quote:
BO wins a 2nd term you can bet there will be major gun legislation starting with a ban on so called assault weapons. Buy your stripped lowers now.
That's assuming the Republicans lose both the house and the senate; which nobody is predicting. Stripped (AR15) lowers are the last thing I intend on buying right now. I'm more worried about certain carry pieces no longer being available for the price you can get them today - i.e. the newer pocket or micro 9mm's.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Mrgunsngear

People should absolutely be allowed to own automatic weapons; and all the B.S. NFA paperwork that goes with it should be eliminated. Like all gun laws, they only affect law abiding people like us. The criminals aren't filing for a stamp, trust me.

A side story---when I was stationed at Ft. Knox (then the home of the Armor Center) we took a trip out to a private citizens' house to look at his private tank collection. These were 100% functioning tanks/armored vehicles. He was a private citizen. If people can own tanks (I think they should be allowed to) we should certainly be able to own machine guns.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-Thomas Jefferson
Old March 28, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Skans

I wonder how many miles to a gallon that Tank gets? And it probably runs on diesel!
Old March 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Nickel Plated

Necessary? Not really. Necessary for what? But I should be able to buy a brand new one just as I can buy any other firearm. Most things people own are not necessary. So the next time you want to buy a new rifle, or TV, or a motorcycle, don't forget to file a "Request to purchase an unnecessary item" with the Bureau of Useless Frivolities. And as always, have a glorious day comrade...Or else!

As for FAs being expensive. As tepin said. That's all due to them being banned. If the registry were abolished, an M16 would likely cost only like $20 more than a semi-only AR15. Infact it would be a moot point because I think most manufacturers would just stop making semi-only guns altogether. Why have 2 production lines making two separate guns that are essentially the same except for like 3 parts. If you don't want to/ can't afford to run full auto, fine. That's why there's a selector switch.

Quote:
I wonder how many miles to a gallon that Tank gets? And it probably runs on diesel!
The Abrams run on jet fuel. So better save up if you want to make it a daily driver. Though in theory the turbine engine in them should be able to run almost any flamable liquid.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:37 PM   #17
FrosSsT

Miles per gallon of jet fuel an M1 Abe gets? Lets see...

Starts up (Gallon)
Revs engine (2 Gallons)
At Idle (Gallon per 5 seconds)
Moves 50 feet (5-25: Gallons depending on how many cars it went over)
Old March 28, 2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Mrgunsngear

Oh you're not kidding on the MPGs... Our unit XO had overspent our annual budget one year and we were really low on fuel funds. We literally called in moving trucks to move our company's tanks about 200 meters to save the fuel of starting and moving them under their own power. Those things are an environmentalists worst nightmare---just another reason I love them
Old March 28, 2012, 01:26 PM   #19
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Those things are an environmentalists worst nightmare---just another reason I love them
Aircraft carrier flight operations are another environmentalist nightmare. The maximum weight you can take off with is significantly higher than the maximum weight at which you can land, so if you don't burn enough fuel during the mission, you have to dump some before you can land back at the boat. On one deployment, I calculated that we dumped (on average) 1,000 pounds of fuel into the ocean at the end of each flight.
Old March 28, 2012, 02:27 PM   #20
TheBear

I think there should be NO restrictions for any kind of firearms.

Maybe, the OP should think about migrating to china...
Old March 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #21
medalguy

I recently got into a discussion with my CPA regarding machine guns. For the record I own a number of them. She questioned "why I needed to own them." I asker her what kind of car she drove, a Jag XK, then what the top speed was on her car. The top speed is over 150 mph. So of course I asked her why she really needed a car that she could drive at 150 mph and where she drove it that fast, certainly not on the public feeeways.

Well the discussion ended pretty quickly. After thinking a few seconds, she said she understood my point. Same with machine guns-- because they are fun, because they are historically interesting, and because I CAN!!

Life is not about just things we need. Really, all we "need" is a dry place to sleep, something to eat on a somewhat regular basis, a few clothes, and not much more. We don't "need" lots of things we own, but they make life much more interesting and enjoyable. Take a look around your home or office. Decide what you really "need" to live. Make that "to exist" and I think you will get my point.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:06 AM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I really wish the NRA/SAF/JPFO/ghost of Christmas future would start working on opening the registry for 22LR only.

I think it would be possible.
Most shooters would LOVE to be able to shoot full auto 22LR.
Incremental gun rights has worked EXTREMELY well for us in Ohio(CHL).
Old March 29, 2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Skans

Quote:
Most shooters would LOVE to be able to shoot full auto 22LR.
I don't really have any interest in .22LR machineguns. Heck, I haven't even purchased a .22 kit for my AC556. But, I'm sure some folks would love this.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Walther P99

If they're going to open the mg registry, I'd like to see it done for all MGs as I have no interest in .22lr..
Old March 29, 2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Nickel Plated

I'd love a little palm sized .22LR SMG. Like an even more micro Micro-UZI

Take a Glock 26, give it a selector lever like a Glock 18 and chamber it in .22LR