The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #26
The Great Mahoo

Explain the "tuckable iwb" please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdersmoke View Post
Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much?
I used one for several years for my Glock 36, positioned at about 4:00 on my belt. I found that adjusting the holster to ride low made it more concealable, but not so low to compromise grip access.

I started carrying a revolver much more, so I stopped carrying the Glock in favor of my SP101. I had a High-noon holster that fit the Ruger, but it has such a large single clip on it, it's not at all deep concealment, negating the tuck aspect. Now I just carry OWB or IWB with a vest or some such garment. Never liked untucked shirts much; too sloppy looking. I now use a Simply Rugged with inside-out straps.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:01 AM   #27
pax

I have used a tuckable IWB in the appendix position with my Glock 26 for around 13 years.

Given my job, I've experimented with a lot of other options (current stash: I could change holsters every day for the next six months, without any repeats, plus there's another six weeks' worth of holstered purses). But my tuckable IWB is the day-in, day-out favorite.

pax
Old March 8, 2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Sport45

Everyone sets their own priorities, and I don't put a lot of emphasis on the quick draw aspect. For me, the holster is a means of carrying a handgun.

I fully expect if I ever need it my first move is going to be to cover. I'll get the gun out then.

I think of it like the kitchen fire extinguisher. It would be "best" if it was mounted on a wall within easy reach, but we keep it out of sight in a cabinet instead.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:04 AM   #29
pax

Sport45,

You may have some unrealistic ideas about how crime and self-defense events typically happen. Worth some research.

pax
Old March 8, 2013, 12:07 AM   #30
Sport45

Are you saying if I don't have a good quick draw I might as well not carry?
Old March 8, 2013, 12:16 AM   #31
pax

No, I'm saying that you may have some unrealistic ideas about how violent crimes tend to play out -- and that you'll be a bit safer if you do a little research.

pax
Old March 8, 2013, 12:51 AM   #32
Gaerek

@Sport45 - There's a reason many trainers are now considering firearms training more of a martial art. Most self defense shootings occur at contact range...cover usually isn't an option. Ideally you'll find cover, but most of the time that isn't the case. A fast draw can easily mean the difference between life and death.

Look up Hojutsu for more info on what I'm talking about.

Back on topic, Sundays are the only day I'll wear my IWB with my a shirt tucked in. That's at church. It's a compromise so I can still dress nice. I just have to blouse my shirt out a bit at he waistband, and by doing that, the gun is nearly invisible.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:31 AM   #33
Sport45

I think of it in relative terms.
  • The chances of me dying of old age are not significantly different whether I carry or not.
  • If I carry, the chances of dying of old age are not significantly different whether I can quick draw or not.
YMMV - We do not all live in the same place or do the same things.

This is like the heated arguments that sometimes ensue about how many extra magazines or even guns one "needs" to carry. And it has nothing to do with how a tuckable holster works.

For what it's worth, I use a tuckable IWB, but seldom wear my shirt tucked in. I'll do what I need to do when I need to do it. I don't train to draw at every unexpected sound or movement.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:28 AM   #34
Chris Van

In my opinion, there is no failsafe method to any "concealed" carry situation. We could go on for days about "what if" scenerios.
I agree with Sport45 on this subject but that's just me. I carry to have access if needed. I am no patrol officer so my chances of actually needing a quick draw are very slim in the first place. I am more interested in comfort and concealment, but still having access, than being quick draw McGraw.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:58 PM   #35
Gaerek

Everything we do while carrying is a compromise. From the gun and caliber we choose, to the holster, to how many mags we carry, etc. For reasonable folks, I'd rather it take you 5 seconds to get your gun out of concealment than to not have a gun at all. It's all compromise. No matter what you choose to do or how you choose to carry, you're compromising with something.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:23 PM   #36
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdersmoke
Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much? I've tried them and even with a small gun no matter where I place the holster on my hip or how loose I left the part of the shirt that wasn't tucked in there was a huge obvious bulge. I always thought that even to the untrained eye it would be obvious as a pounded thumb that you had something inside your belt.
I use my Crossbreed exclusively, though I only carry "tucked" when I want to be "dressed up", like Sundays at church.

That "obvious to an untrained eye" thing isn't as obvious as you think. I know how you feel, I worried about it too for awhile. Eventually, I realized that most people are so oblivious they wouldn't notice a gun hidden under spandex.
Old March 8, 2013, 04:03 PM   #37
TailGator

Quote:
Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much? I've tried them and even with a small gun no matter where I place the holster on my hip or how loose I left the part of the shirt that wasn't tucked in there was a huge obvious bulge. I always thought that even to the untrained eye it would be obvious as a pounded thumb that you had something inside your belt.
I use one (DeSantis Sof-tuk, or however they spell it) once or twice a week, with a regular IWB the rest of the time. I usually have a cover garment, but when I go to church I have to take off my jacket and put on a choir robe, so I wear it there and on other unusual occasions when I can't manage a good cover garment. I don't tuck my shirt in tight, just a little loose blousing above the belt and it doesn't show. Don't look too hard, because no one else does.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:02 PM   #38
Okie47

TailGator...and others..does this mean the tuckable isn't as comfortable or what? Can't you use it either way?
Old March 9, 2013, 12:59 AM   #39
Gaerek

I wear my tuckable both tucked and untucked. It's an incredibly comfortable holster either way, especially considering I have a G19 riding in it. Untucked, I can draw from it pretty quickly. When it's tucked, however, you have to clear your tucked in shirt and that takes time. I only tuck my shirt in when, socially, I'm expected to. Otherwise, I have an untucked T-Shirt or Polo over it.

For reference, I use a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba (http://www.concealmentsolutions.com). It's not really advertised as a tuckable, but it can be used as one because of how it's designed. The only issue is the black clips over my belt are visible when tucked. But I usually wear a black belt so the clips just aren't noticed by people. The holster works very well either way, but if you are mostly going to wear a shirt tucked in, get a holster specifically advertised as a tuckable. Several have been mentioned so far.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:52 AM   #40
TailGator

Quote:
TailGator...and others..does this mean the tuckable isn't as comfortable or what? Can't you use it either way?
Darn good question. The Sof-tuck that I use is comfortable enough, but access while tucked is a bit slower. I could use it without tucking it, but I use another IWB when I don't need to tuck because (1) the other IWB has two belt loops and a tongue of leather that lays under my belt line, so it is a bit more stable (although I can't criticize the Sof-tuck much in that regard), and (2) I had the other one first and it is paid for and so I might as well get some wear out of it.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:16 PM   #41
redhologram

I always wear an IWB. Usually I wear my shirts untucked and my holster on the back of my hip towards the 5 o'clock position.
There are times though, when I will wear a shirt that I want/need to tuck in.
Today was one of those days. I ended up tucking my shirt in and also needed to move my holster to appendix carry to give it a less bulky appearance since my shirt was more fitted.

But here is how I looked at the mall concealing my compact 9mm. No one ever pays any attention to the clips on your belt.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:24 PM   #42
Spats McGee
Staff

redhologram, your picture also brings to mind one of the other big advantages that I've noticed in IWB vs. OWB: Access to front pockets. With my OWB, I have to work around the holster to get to my right front pocket, and that's where I keep my keys. No such trouble with my IWB.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:16 PM   #43
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Sadly, most people wouldn't notice you were carrying a gun if you strapped it to your forehead. They just aren't looking and they have their own things going on.

On the bulge with tuckable holsters, I've carried a Glock 26 and a Browning Hi-Power that way and nobody ever noticed either one, although the Glock has a very obvious bulge, especially from the front where your belt unexplicably juts out from your hip for no apparent reason. Thin slide guns with older locking lugs like the Browning 1910, 1911, Hi-Power tend to conceal very well though.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #44
redhologram

Spats,
That's a good point. Although my keys won't fit in my pockets. The only thing I can slip in mine is my BG knife and I always manage to make room for it.

Also, from my perspective, I have found that the hip hugger style jeans do not work as well for comfort and concealment when you have hipbones and curves. I have found buying jeans that sit up closer to my natural waistline makes concealment easier because the gun can then hug into your curves instead of being pushed out against your hipbones.
Just a tip for anyone else who may encounter similar issues.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

Bartholomew, you're exactly right. I have commented elsewhere that unless you're carrying something slightly larger than a Howitzer, it's unlikely that anyone will notice. In today's world, we've become accustomed to folks having all kinds of odd bulges around the waistline (pagers, phones, PDAs, etc.)

rhg, good tip. Women have a whole set of concealment concerns that we men just don't think about. I, for one, would look incredibly silly in hip-huggers, whether I was trying to conceal a pistol or not!
Old March 10, 2013, 07:26 PM   #46
Dwight55

This is my carry set up, . . . it is incredibly comfortable, as well as being almost impossible to detect.

I have never been made, . . . or at least no one has ever mentioned it to me.

The only down side, it is a bit aggravating if you have to disarm to go into the post office, school, or something like that.

May God bless,
Dwight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b carry 1.jpg (101.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg b carry 2.jpg (98.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg b carry 4.jpg (38.7 KB, 30 views)
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 10, 2013, 08:49 PM   #47
SerenityNetworks

Re: Explain the "tuckable iwb" please...

Dwight, can you tell us the maker or supplier?
Old March 10, 2013, 08:51 PM   #48
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm going to hazard a wild guess that Dwight55, who signs his name "Dwight," is the Dwight of Dwight's Gunleather, linked in his sig.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:34 PM   #49
Dwight55

Spats wins the "Detective of the day" award.

It is my design, listed on my website.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 10, 2013, 09:57 PM   #50
Dragline45

Quote:
Does anyone ever actually use a tuckable that much? I've tried them and even with a small gun no matter where I place the holster on my hip or how loose I left the part of the shirt that wasn't tucked in there was a huge obvious bulge.
I tried a crossbreed but ended up selling it. The only time I tuck in a shirt is at work or events like weddings or dinners. My dress shirts fit snug and would show a huge noticeable bulge no matter where on my belt I would wear it. My dress pants also fit snug and it was very uncomfortable. I wasn't about to ditch $500 suits for a larger pant size just to accommodate a holster, so its pocket carry for dressy occasions. Even for regular IWB I just found the crossbreed to be too much holster for the gun, it was pretty massive with the large leather backing.