The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Ambidextrous

Bore Snake vs. Bore Snake "Viper"?

Can anyone please possibly tell me the difference between:

"Hoppe's Bore-Snake #24002 9mm",

and,

"Hoppe's Bore-Snake Viper 24002V 'VIPER 9mm, Clam E/F", other than the $2 or $3 difference in price that I see online, please?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Ambidextrous; February 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Scorch

The Viper has an extra brush in it.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Ambidextrous

An extra brush? Wouldn't that make it TWICE as Good? Or at least I'd only have to use it 1/2 as much??
Old February 24, 2011, 09:35 PM   #4
zplinker

Sorry, but all you can expect from a Bore Snake, is to remove a minimal amount of the fouling. Use that if you can't clean properly; at least it will remove the powder fouling. If in doubt as to how well you are cleaning, find someone with a borescope, and see what is really going on. It won't make you happy, but at least you will know. Fouling builds up like snowballs..copper onto carbon, and more of each onto each other. "Standard" cleaning makes a barrel look pretty to the naked eye. Use Wipe-Out, maybe some JB's, and you'll actually clean your barrel.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
ethan95

I had a .223 viper bore snake get stuck in the barrel of my AR-15. I had to cut it and oil it to get it out, im sticking to the plain old bore snake for now on....
Old February 27, 2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Ideal Tool

Bite Of A Bore Snake!

Hello, Not wanting to remove the bolt from my .236 Winchester-Lee sporter everytime for cleaning...I decided to buy an Otis pull through cleaning system. first time out..following all instructions..I managed to get the thing stuck halfway thru bore. After soaking with oil, managed to pull out, but brass T handle was bent double..If anything had broken off inside..I would have been in deep trouble..swivel would prevent drilling, & stainless steel "Rope" inside plastic sleeve would have been a nightmare! Last time I ever use one!
Old March 8, 2011, 05:24 PM   #7
TXJohn

Count me out on any Bore Snake!!!
Old March 10, 2011, 04:11 PM   #8
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Bore Snake are better than burger and shake if used for what they were intended. Removal of dust, dirt, and the stuff you collect in your belly button!
Just like other have said: You can't beat a rod and cleaning supply's with a little hard work.
Old March 10, 2011, 10:08 PM   #9
BrittB

I use the bore snake just before I go shoot the firearm. It's more of a piece of mind thing than anything else.
Old March 11, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

No, I don't think the Viper is a better deal. I do like Bore Snakes, but find them a bit messy. I have given up "properly" cleaning the bores on most of my rifles. I found I have finally gotten to the point that I don't want to make a clean bore cold shot when hunting and come to find out if I need a couple of fouling shots anyway just to get my gun back to shooting "normal" anyway, why go to the extreme of "proper" cleaning very often. A quick spray of lube and a couple swipes of the Bore Snake and bore is in good shape without needing fouling shots for my next time out. I don't have to worry about POI changing and I don't have to fire a couple fouling shots before starting a hunt.

The bores get "properly cleaned" once a year or so, but it seems to be a lot less effort with better consistent results to run a Bore Snake and on occasion, a jag with a patch.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:01 PM   #11
TXJohn

When hunting all of my rifles are cold and clean if the POI is so different that I have to shoot fouling shots then I probably wont keep it and let some one else have that problem
Old March 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
When hunting all of my rifles are cold and clean if the POI is so different that I have to shoot fouling shots then I probably wont keep it and let some one else have that problem
It is interesting you should say that. Based on what I have seen of many hunters, they don't shoot well enough to know the difference. Apparently, lots of folks know such people, some even worse than my BIL (see link). I am not saying that you are a bad shot, but simply saying that I can't evaluate what that criterion means because it could have an extremely great amount of variability depending on the hunter.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401369

Of course, some folks are shooting a large region of the animal, an area something like 4-8" in diameter and they shoot out to 100 yards.
Here are some target examples.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...t:429,r:10,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1042&bih=583

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tx=457&ty=-212

A bunch still miss. I have pistol that will shoot that good (usually by somebody other than me, but I have seen it done with my guns). I have taken to shooting a particular spot as I like to CNS head shoot my hogs. If not using a .45-70, CNS head shots seem to do a better job of DRT than vital organ shots. It means making a shot where the target is maybe 2" in diameter. That's it.

Having a rifle go from a 1 MOA to a 2, 3, or 4 MOA gun probably won't matter for most hunters for the first shot because anywhere in that 4-8" diameter area is probably considered just fine and dandy by them them as a "good shot" and for all practical purposes, it may be, and inside 100 yards it certainly won't matter for them. A tremendous number shoot inside of 50 yards and even with a 4 MOA gun, a vital organ/shoulder shot will look to be exactly where placed.

Note some clean bore observations...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...lean+bore+zero

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...lean+bore+zero
Old March 12, 2011, 04:59 PM   #13
TXJohn

You are right what you say but being in Texas shots taken over 100 yards for whitetail are rare and at that range cold, clean, dirty , hot it not going to make any difference one way or the other! If you can not hit a 14''-16'' kill zone with cold clean barrel then you shouldn't be hunting any way.

You are also right that most just shoot for a broadside shot and hit where ever I sir am not one of those people. Any time you are in Ft worth TX please try and get ahold of me I will show you how well I can shoot.

I have several rifles that will shoot same POI clean cold, hot dirty, but most of my rifles are not box stock in fact none are sorry if what I said upset you but it is what it is.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:02 PM   #14
jimherb

I too have a bore snake viper that is stuck about 1/2 way up the bbl of my .223. It is really stuck. It is, I think, that little tassle on the end that is the culprit.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:11 PM   #15
Aberration

I have normal bore snakes, for everything I own.

They are what they are, and shouldn't be a replacement for a standard cleaning. They are fantastic in the field though.
Old March 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I too have a bore snake viper that is stuck about 1/2 way up the bbl of my .223. It is really stuck. It is, I think, that little tassle on the end that is the culprit.
The way you solve that issue is to tie a piece of para cord to the loop end so if the normal pull string breaks, you can pull the snake out backwards from the barrel
Old March 4, 2013, 01:04 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

Boresnake, Mpro7, Remington...

I owned 2 Boresnake cleaning products, one for 10mm/.40S&W/.41magnum, the newer Boresnake for the 9x19mm/.38/.357magnum.
They work great & I never had any problems or issues. I never shot 1000s of rounds with any revolver or pistol & most weapons I owned had CLP, chrome lined barrel or a after-market treatment like Robar's top NP3 on them.
Hoppes #9 helps, .
Remington; www.remington.com has a new cleaning/gun care product called SQUEGE or SQUEEGE; check the website or www.youtube.com . They claim it works on firearm barrels from .22LR to 12ga shotguns & cleans in "one pass".

Mpro7 now has a special Boresnake too, R&D with Hoppes but I'm not sure if the Mpro7 Boresnake is a Viper or the old brand. www.Mpro7.com

ClydeFrog
Old March 4, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18
F. Guffey

Hoppies #9, reminds me of John Wayne and John Wayne toilet paper, both had a repetition of not taking crap off of anything, I know, results varied from state to state, location to location. Bore Snake, I use a bore snake (sort-ta), it is impossible to stick, lock up and or jam, I use it dry, with a solvent and or lube.

Then there are patches, I was minding my own business when I heard another business was moving overseas and or south, I was invited to glean and or sort through inventory that was headed to the dumpster. What looked like short rolls if material/fabric looked like a football field of material to a reloader.

I jump in (exited version of dive as in dumpster diving), back to patches, I unloaded the material at home, looking for help I ask the wife to grab a pair of scissors, (something she did not tell me about) she came back with a green mat with a roller cutter, next time I will have to furnish my own green matt/cutting board, seems she thought i was a little rough when cutting 10 plies at a time.

Colorful patches, white and dark colors, I got more color material than white, nothing wrong with using white material when determining if more dark color patches are necessary.

F. Guffey