The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 15, 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Beretta686

Belt Feds Cheaper than M16s

I've plumped down some $$$ to buy MGs lately and have been watching prices on a variety of weapons. I've noticed that M16s are selling for more than many belt-feds, including .50BMG M2s.

I know that ammo prices will kill your enjoyment of your belt-fed (unless you're independently wealthy), but this just seems odd.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 15, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Skans

I like to track the prices of various full-auto guns as well, and have noticed the same thing. Prices of guns that shoot .223 or 7.62x39 have steadily increased, while other full-autos have stayed the same or decreased in price. My only conclusion is it has to be ammo related. No one can afford to shoot full-auto .50, 30-06 or .308 any longer, even if you have the money to collect full-auto toys.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
medalguy

Well belt feds are way more fun than what is basically a rifle, I can say that.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:44 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

My thoughts are similar.

Several factors involved. Speaking of rifle caliber NFA guns.

The fixed number of guns in the loop with an increasing nationwide pool of buyers, largely due to increased access of information, i.e. the internet, on all aspects of owning and crooked dealers to steer clear of.
This has led to more buyers taking the leap.

Surplus ammo is pretty much done, and definitely done at 'less than the cost of the bullet' prices.

Bulk domestic (and new foreign production) prices for the 7.62x51 and the other belt fed calibers are unlikely to ever be structured anywhere close to that of the 5.56 and 7.62x39.

Most belt fed guns fire from an open bolt and, in my experience, are less forgiving with head space issues when shooting reloaded cartridges that have been reloaded multiple times.

Spare bolt parts for the belt feds are not as numerous in the first place and shooting reloads with resultant case head separations is hard on them.

My take, JT
Old February 17, 2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Beretta686

Quote:
Well belt feds are way more fun than what is basically a rifle, I can say that.
Having shot quite a few belt-fed MGs with the military, you're absolutely right that belt-feds are way more fun to shoot than a subgun or select-fire rifle. However, paying for the ammo to feed them isn't much fun. I'd say on the civilian side they're largely for very wealthy people who can afford to drop a few thousand $$$ on a trip to the range.

Quote:
Surplus ammo is pretty much done, and definitely done at 'less than the cost of the bullet' prices.
Yup, the days of buying huge quantities of WWII 8mm Mauser and Cold War reserves of 7.62x51 and .50 BMG are over.

I remember when I first got into the NFA game years ago that M16s where a few thousand with belt-feds way above that, now we're seeing the reverse as you're basically getting a very cool paperweight.

My prediction is that the M16s and anything in 9mm or .22LR (or will accept a .22LR conversion) keep climbing, while everything else either levels off or appreciates much more slowly.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 26, 2013, 04:33 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

With an AR lower you have a TON of flexibility. You can make an upper that does almost anything. You could make it beltfed if you like. That is the simple reason. I would either get a low end SMG or an AR if it were me. For a big belt fed that will almost certainly be used in a static position I could easily make a legal mod to a semi-auto conversion that would satisfy me.