The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Nzali

Reloading the 6mm

I shoot a Ruger m77 6mm. If I put a box of factory loads through it, about half of them will need neck cut down to keep even close to proper case length. (in other words, I can run them through full resizing die (laymen) and they still don't fit in the chamber, bolt can't close properly.) This seems odd. In my 308 win M88 I can get 4 or 5 reloads with no problem. I have had this issue since I pursched the rifle.

Any help?
Thanks
Old January 5, 2009, 04:45 PM   #2
LHB1

Screw your full length sizing die Down another half turn, resize those problem cases, and see if the problem disappears. I suspect your die isn't pushing the shoulder back quite far enough to let the resized case chamber easily. There has been a 6mm rifle in my gunsafe for the last 40+ years. It is one of my two favorite rifle cartridges. Good luck with your reloads.
Old January 5, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Shoney

Nzali
WELCOME TO TFL!!!

If you are talking about the 6mm Rem, I first started loading this cartridge in the mid 1960's.The long neck of the case is the primary culpret, because of the sizing down wiith the die and the subsequent up sizing as the expander ball is pulled out. The long neck is also what adds to the inherint ability of the cartridge to get great accuracy.

Here is the combination of the things I tried in order to stop or lessen the stretch, which meant trimming to length less often.
1. Replaced the expander ball on the sizing die with the next smaller size, polishing it to a high degree with jewelers rouge.
2. Setting the sizing die so it just touches the shoulder. Must be done with cases fired in that chamber.

The above worked semi ok until I started neck turning.

Now I use RCBS X-Die, and life is wonderful. Cases will only require trimming after 8-10 resizings.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; January 5, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 6, 2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Nzali

thanks

I'll take a close look and give the suggestions a try. It's not like I don't have enough shells.