The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2006, 02:48 AM   #1
nokia16601

Stress Relief or Bad Idea???

Now im sure none of you want to hear about my personal life, so ill sum this up very quickly. Im having a rough year. I haven't taken my shotgun out in a long time(never while upset/angry/etc) Is it a bad idea to go shooting while upset, or will it actually help relieve some of my stress(at least temporarily)??
Old January 16, 2006, 03:08 AM   #2
radshop

Sorry to hear about your situation, bro. I can perhaps relate somewhat, though I'm never going to give the old "I know what you're going through" crap - I don't.

I frequently go shooting to relieve stress and frustration (in my case handgun mostly, although starting to get back into shotgun). I don't necessarily recommend this for you - you have to know yourself. I know myself, and I am (1) very well steeped in firearms safety and (2) not likely to do something stupid with a gun even when I'm upset. When I'm shooting for stress relief, I am very disciplined and shoot a lot of rounds in a very controlled manner - never blasting out of control to let off steam.
Old January 16, 2006, 09:29 AM   #3
NDTerminator

Go out and bust a couple rounds of clays. You'll feel a heckuva lot better...

Charles Darwin
Old January 16, 2006, 10:05 AM   #4
UziAnnie

I go to the range, where I can be monitored and do a lot of very controlled shooting. You must realize that only you can know how you will react. Safety is the utmost key. We have MP5's to rent. After unloading several mags, I feel much better. Full-auto and control does it for me!
Old January 16, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5
44hollowpoint

From personal experience, the smell of cordite always raises the spirits.

Go and split some stumps and I'm sure you'll feel better...
Old January 16, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Bobshouse

Nokia, without knowing your personality, I couldn't really make that decision for you. I have a friend that really can't control his temper when he gets mad, he breaks his furniture, punches holes through walls, etc..etc. Having a gun in his hands during one of his tantrums would probably end in disaster.

You say your having a bad year...any thoughts of suicide? How much easier life would be if you didnt have those worries or problems? I know you wouldn't want to admit to or deny this on a group discussion forum, but again, a good reason to stay away from firearms.

You might want to seek medical help. They have stuff out that will help anxiety, depression or just about anything. Hope you get over your problems, just remember, nothing is as bad as you make it to be...

Bob
Old January 16, 2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Twycross

At least for me, just about anything that takes my mind off my problems will produce a temporary relaxation. So yes, go shoot. Take a day hike. Split stumps. Build a bench out of scrap wood. And good luck.
Old January 16, 2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Mastrogiacomo

Shooting always makes me feel better but it's always more fun to take a friend along. I hate shooting alone.
Old January 16, 2006, 03:38 PM   #9
rugerdude

As long as you're doing everything safely, I say go ahead and go shooting. Releasing all that energy that comes from a firearm does wonders (for me) for relieving stress.

If you just need to blow off some steam, go to the range. If you feel like you need to do more than blow off some steam, I'd say shooting a gun A) Isn't going to help much, and B) is probably not a good idea.

Only you know you, but it's always best to er on the side of caution.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old January 16, 2006, 08:34 PM   #10
walter in florida

A few years ago my wife was in the hospital a total of 3 month, one month in critical care unit were just about every one was passing away. So I went down to the shooting range and bought me a SA-22 revolver. I took it out on the target and did pretty good. It did me some good and got my mind off my wife critical condition. She sitting in front of the TV now. What I am saying get some clay pigons and shoot the H@77 out of them, I think it will do you some good. BE SAFE.
Old January 27, 2006, 08:29 PM   #11
parrothead2581

My mother passed away last January, a week ago this past Monday actually. She was 49, I'm 24. I began looking for something to do, to help me pass the time, and get away from graduate school textbooks. I had always wanted to start target shooting and took a trip to the local range here. The rest I history. Between May and December, I was given my first ever guns last year and bought 2 myself. For myself, shooting is just one of many things I can do to relieve, and even help prevent stress and anxiety. Know your limits, control you emotions, take a friend, be safe and have some fun!
Old January 27, 2006, 10:41 PM   #12
bobeyerite

Nokia, I would say go to the trap range and turn as many of those clay birds into dust as you can. I have seen many shooters relieve stress that way and it works. The best part is you hurt no-one and you can have some fun also.

Watching a good birddog hunt birds, is like watching
poetry in motion.

I may have grown old, but I have not grown-up yet.
Old January 27, 2006, 11:52 PM   #13
Hoss Fly

It Works For Me -------------