The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Crotalus

reloads won't chamber easily?

I am new to reloading and just started out with a Hornady lock and load classic press. I just reloaded my first batch of .270wsm only to find out that they won't chamber easily? I have a digital caliper an I've check the case dimensions of the factory ammo and the reloads. Both seem to be pretty much dead nuts the same. For some reason when I go to close the bold handle on my Tikka and Winchester 70 it is very difficult to shut? I tried seating the bullet in a little further and lowered the resizing die as far as possible. Still same problem? I'm using once fired nickel brass from winchester silvertips. Could that be the problem? I read that the stuff doesn't size as easily as the regular brass but still works.
Thanks
Eric
Old February 28, 2008, 05:15 PM   #2
mniesen89

what is pretty much the same? what are the differences in dimensions between the factory loads and your loads
Old February 28, 2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Crotalus

I can't find any noticeable differences with the caliper. They are very much the same as far as I found. I measured the overall length, thickness, case length, neck, shoulder, and all seem the same. The only thing I can't measure is the angle on the shoulder, but from a close eyeball they look the same. I can get the rounds to chamber but it takes a lot of push on the bolt handle and I'm not cool with that.
Old February 28, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4
mniesen89

what type of bullet and case are you using?
Old February 28, 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
somerled

Are you using a full-length resizing die? Were the fired cases you reloaded fired in another rifle?
Old February 28, 2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Dave P

Good chance they are a bit long on headspace, or maybe diameter is too big.

Might try screwing in your FL resize die another 1/2 turn, and then see if one easily chambers or not.
Old February 28, 2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Crotalus

Using Hornady lock and load two die set;
Once Fired nickel brass from winchester silvertips;
Nosler accubond bullets
I've adjusted the sizing die untill it touches the shell holder on a full stroke;
Using Hornady one shot case lube.
All the cases were fired in my Tikka T3 and can't get them to fit again even after resizing.
Old February 28, 2008, 06:22 PM   #8
somerled

I assumed you checked the brass for length--if that was ok, I'd say the dies are the culprit. The resizer isn't sizing the cases back down to the proper dimensions even though you have it screwed all the way down to the shellholder. Try another set.
Old February 28, 2008, 06:32 PM   #9
ZeroJunk

Can you look at the shell holder in action and see if it contacts the die when a case is in it? If it does, you have out of tolerance dies or chamber, which is unlikely. You can take bullet seating out of the equation by chambering a resized brass with no bullet in it.
Actually close to zero headspace is a good thing as long as you don't run the risk of not getting a cartridge chambered in a hunting situation. I always run mine on the tight side.
Old February 28, 2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Wayfarin'Stranger

It's been hinted at....try adjusting your sizing die.

With the press's ram in the full up position, screw the die until it touches the shell holder, then give it another 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
Old February 28, 2008, 11:19 PM   #11
rwilson452

Like as not, it's not the COAL that is the problem but the length to the shoulder.
Old February 28, 2008, 11:56 PM   #12
Crotalus

Thanks guys

Problem solved! I had my die adjusted to touch the shell holder at full swing. I heeded advice and dropped the die down a tad further so that the shell holder smashed way into the die and locked in place at full swing. For some reason that was the trick and now the brass is a perfect fit. just a tiny bit tight but feeds well with out problems. Seems to fit the headspace just right. Thanks again, this site is a life saver. If only the directions for the dies could explain that, jeez.
Old February 29, 2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Crotalus

Oh yeah, is it safe to shoot the ones I loaded with the tight fit? They will chamber but I really gotta crank em in there. Otherwise there garbage because I don't have a bullet puller.
Old February 29, 2008, 11:20 AM   #14
Sevens

First, get a bullet puller. If you are going to reload or handload ammo, you will find a use for this tool. Whether you pay $15 or $30 for it, I promise, you'll get your money's worth over time.

As for the rounds, "smoke em" or use a marker the lays down wet ink and color them right at the case mouth, then chamber them. If the ink from the case mouth is smudged or gone when you extract them, that's a hint that the case mouth is forward of the chamber. That's where pressure raises because the bullet gets pinched where it shouldn't be getting pinched.

If your case mouth isn't getting pinched, they should be safe to shoot.

Your best option is to get a bullet puller and do the work involved. Consider it a learning curve!