The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2014, 06:35 PM   #26
LAH

Believe the Savage rifles are holding their own.
Old February 2, 2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Ramsdell

Hi all, first post for me.

I have a 452 Trainer with a Williams peep and YoDave trigger kit. I only shoot out to 50-75 w/ the peep and don't use a scope. I've tried Lapua Center X and Midas +, as well as CCI Standard velocity, and they all shoot about the same size groups (under 1" at 50-75m). I paid 360.00 plus a transfer fee to have it shipped to a local GS.

Those groups would be smaller if I used an optic and the difference between ammo choice would probably show more. From the research I did prior to getting the 452, it would be tough to find something that matches that accuracy while still hovering around the 400.00 price point. Plus, the 452 is a nice rifle and something that I'll gladly hand down to my son and daughter one day.

Just my .02
Old February 2, 2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Pahoo

It is what it is !!

Quote:
I have a 452 Trainer with a Williams peep and YoDave trigger kit.
Have to doubt that you are rightly satisfied with your CZ and I would add that your don't need a replacement trigger kit, with a Savage ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 2, 2014, 01:00 PM   #29
steveNChunter

One other thing I'm wondering about is barrel length. Both CZ and Savage offer "suppressor-ready" versions with 16.5" barrels. I think theoretically this would give better accuracy because of the shorter, stiffer, less "whippy" barrel. Also less barrel time should be good for accuracy. 16.5" is about the optimum length for a .22lr as far as velocity is concerned, but is there any advantage with the longer barrel accuracy-wise? Maybe more stabilization and/or less velocity deviation? I'm sure somebody out there can school me on this.
Old February 2, 2014, 01:11 PM   #30
Chuck Dye

Mechanical accuracy is a gun to gun wash. A longer barrel can make for a longer sight radius and improved shooter performance, but put a scope on the rifle and the point is moot.
Old February 3, 2014, 05:16 PM   #31
rodemax

One thing to keep in mind is that .22 rifles are picky about ammo. Don't assume that expensive match ammo is the best for your rifle. For my target 10/22, Aguila Superextra shot better groups than Eley. Of course, I had the liberty of buying 30 different kinds of ammo just for this purpose. With the ammo shortage, this may be a challenge.
Old February 3, 2014, 06:11 PM   #32
flashhole

Did you consider the CZ 453 with the single set trigger and heavier barrel or does that break the bank? I picked up a 455 two years ago for my daughter who's been kicking but at the 4-H weekly shooting matches. The 455 met the criteria for match use. Scoped it with a Weaver variable rimfire scope. The CZ and Weaver scope is a match made in heaven.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 3, 2014, 10:15 PM   #33
steveNChunter

They don't make the 453 anymore and I'll probably buy new, but I'm considering some variation of the CZ 455 varmint. I'm actually leaning more in this direction now after considering the quality of the CZ vs. the Savage for not that much more money.

I reallly like the 455 tacticool suppressor-ready, but I don't know how easy it will be to find one. They are new-for-2014 and will be a hot item. If I can't find one I'll happily order a 455 varmint.
Old February 4, 2014, 05:19 PM   #34
steveNChunter

Just to update this thread, I decided on the CZ 455. I went to the LGS today and checked to see what they had. There was a CZ 455 Varmint in stock with the standard walnut stock and 20.5" heavy barrel. I was really impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle and it definitely felt like it was a cut above a Savage MKII. I'd really like to find the 455 Tacticool Suppressor-Ready version, and the shop owner just happens to be at a gun show in Phoenix, AZ right now so if he can find one down there he's gonna bring it back for me. If he can't find one I have them holding the Varmint model for me.