The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
wnycollector

Ran across a Shilen barrelled AR upper

I already have a very accurate 18" AR (RRA ATH) but recently I was perusing the wares at a small local gun show and I ran across a varmint upper with a new 20" Stainless Steel Shilen Service Rifle Contour Barrel in it. I need another AR upper like I need a hole in my head but for the asking price of $600, I took the gents card anyways.

Most of my shooting is done at 300 yards or less so my RRA ATH is more than adequate in that department, but having another match quality upper is very appealing. I know Shilen is know for making accurate bench rest rifle barrels, but I haven't been able to find much about their AR-15 barrels. Are they as accurate as the barrels produced by some of the top tier makers like Kreiger, Lothar Walther or Pac Nor? Any info would be appreciated.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
MarkCO

Shilen makes quality barrels. Depending on the specs and the loads you use, you should be able to get it to 1/2 MOA without too much effort if it has life left on it.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Erno86

Brownells sells Shilen barrels for AR-15's... comes in a 223 Wylde chamber, with its own matching bolt.