The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 29, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Trying to hunt deer this year, tips please!!!

Ive been asking every customer who comes into the store and buys a deer permit how to hunt deer....but I still need some advice....I want to hunt deer this year, Im a broke college kid paying for xmas presents, car, insurance, school, gas, etc....

I have a buddy who is going to give me some buckshot that ill pattern in my gun, and I have a pump shotgun im going to use. I have an orange beanie hat (So im legal for orange : P) and I just bought a 3 pack kit of scent killer stuff. Im going to wash my clothes with it and put it outside like 3 days before the hunt, wash up with the soap, then spritz with the scent killer stuff...... I plan to wear camo and the hat.

What can I do to hunt deer? I have found some sport where there are CRAZY tracks....I have also seen 2 or 3 deer there before. I dont have a tree stand, should I climb a tree and sit in it, Should I scout all day? What the dealio? I have no idea how to hunt deer, but im good with a grill and a knife and ill make quick work of one if I get it!

P.S. This will be during 6 day firearm in NJ so i expect a lot of other hunters...possibly some "Pushing" or "Herding" "Driving?" Whatever its called where they force the deer to the shooters...

Thanks!

-Dave
Old November 29, 2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Farmland

That is a lot of information you have asked for. If you have never hunted it would be hard to put everything in writing that you would need to know. I would suggest hunting with a friend that has some experience.

I will assume you know gun and hunting safety rules.

The best advice that I can give you is to read books and search the internet. In short go to a place where you have seen deer if you have not been able to scout an area. Make sure it is open for hunting.

Find a spot that will give you a clear area to see the deer and have an open shot. I can explain in detail what type of spot you are looking for but it should have cover, water and food that the deer feed on. Then sit and wait being as quiet as you can be. make sure you stay focused and keep you head on a swivel slowing looking around the area. I usually like find a large tree and then I will clear the ground of leaves, etc so I will not make any noise.

Maybe you also can mover slowly during the day to another spot, going both slowly and surveying the area before moving. Just remember to keep alert and stop near a tree or some type of cover to help keep you hidden.

The one tip I can give you is if you hear a shot keep alert and focused in the direction of that shot. Often you will find that people miss deer and the will head in your direction.

Learning how to hunt is a process that is learned over time and to be honest everyone has their own style of hunting.

If you have the time it is best to walk through or scout the area you intend on hunting. Look for deer signs along with places that place you near any deer activity you find.

That is the very short course that I can give you.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Lavid2002

I have duck hunted for about 5 years now im pretty good with hunting rules and regs and stuff. I shoot competition so im semi-nifty with a boomstick, but I dont know how to get the critters to ME! Thanks for the advice : )
Old November 29, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we hear the stories about folk be'in in the woods only a few minutes before filling their tag, and it does happen.

I filled a tag last Fall, with a very nice 7X7 - would have been a wall hanger given a couple more years - about 5 minutes walk from the rig. But be'in my first year of retirement, I had already put in my time in the woods for that year, before it finally happened.

However, be'in in the right place at the right time involves be'in there as long and as many times as possible, as giv'in a reasonable location with a reasonable population of deer, TIME will make the difference.

There are books and magizines full of hunting information, but after reading some of those publications, use the basics PLUS TIME!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
Old November 29, 2009, 11:26 PM   #5
zahnzieh

Make sure you follow game regs. for your state - including which ammo is legal for taking deer. Do not try to take your first deer at more than 50 yards - more chance for wounding deer. A clean shot is crucial , a poor shot will result in tracking and bad experience, Study your target deer carefully, good binos a must,make sure it is what you want. good luck!
Old November 30, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Swampghost

Here it is old-time southern style.

When I was about your age I'd find a water oak with big branches over the trail. On the way I'd collect all of the Spanish moss that I could carry. Get up on the branch and cover yourself as much as you can, rifle too. The rifle should look like hanging moss, muzzle down, make sure that the sights are clear. Tie it to the limb near shooting position and leave a little slack, you can't hang on to it for hours. Pop them in the top of the head as they walk by, a .22LR is all that you need.

If you're not used to sleeping in trees a safety harness would be a good idea.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:26 AM   #7
cnimrod

speaking as a fellow jerseyite. don't hide yourself too well in a public hunting area during the 6 day season.
yeah best advice is to hook up with experience. best investment would be a pair of decent compact binocs (an early christmas present?). save your money on the scent system stuff and always pay attention to the wind (i.e. you want it in your face or ears).
dress warm, get in early, sit still overlooking all that deer sign you've seen, did I say dress warm, and let the other hunters push them to you.
good luck.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:54 AM   #8
AJG

Have you taken the Hunter Safety Course?
Old November 30, 2009, 04:22 PM   #9
219er

Taking the hunter safety course and hunting with a knowledgable friend are great. I would add that you really need to know your state and local regulations on deer hunting. Where I checked my deer in this year, the local game warden had to fine some hunters because of simple regs. He was confident that they did not know they did wrong, but wrong is wrong and he said he had to fine them. Jim
Old November 30, 2009, 08:10 PM   #10
zahnzieh

Setting up for a deer hunt is more complex than just getting advice from us. What I mean is you have to study the piece of land that you will hunt. Get an aerial map, walk the property, learn from the topography - where is the water, bedding areas, forage areas, escape routes, favorite hiding areas? Learn and watch their habits early season,rut and late season - they will be different. Get to know deer sign - rubs,scrapes,trails, bedding areas. Set up your stand in an area appropriate for the time of season. Practice with your shotgun and know your limitations as a hunter. This seems a lot but really you can learn all this in a few days. Your homework will be rewarded, even if you only see deer. my 2 cents
Old December 1, 2009, 02:35 AM   #11
Buzzcook

You say you've scouted some land and sen sign, that's more than a lot of people do.
Before the season starts go back to the same place and sit there at dawn and again at dusk. Observe the world around you.
Get an orange vest to.

If you don't have a stand stay out of the trees. Sit on a stump or rock and be vewwy vewwy quiet.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:37 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For scouting trips, and even hunting for that matter, you cannot wear enuff orange. Get the type with the black and gray digi camo to break up the "billboard" affect if you believe in it...

daily trips scouting will teach you how your eyes see tracks and age them instantly as old or new. Do the same with human tracks and sign to learn who is up ahead and how long ago or if they left (tracks leaving). This really requires daily or at least, every other day. These trips can be quite brief as you are really just training.
Brent
Old December 1, 2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Lavid2002

Ok guys, sorry I haven't been back in a bit...heres the deal

I have taken the hunter course, remember the duck hunting? I found some apples that aren't rotting but a little soft int he fridge. I made a salty syrup solution, I rounded up some acorns + Root vegetables, and im going to go bait the spot I told you guys about. Im also going to find a tree I can hop up into....I know the topography of the place, (I checked it out on google earth before going to the spot. I know there will be a decent amount of pressure on the land hunting day and I think ill be right smack dab in the middle of it : )
Old December 1, 2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Lavid2002

anyone else? Im going to go bait tomorrow : )
Old December 1, 2009, 11:43 PM   #15
sc928porsche

Please, dont climb a tree. Its not safe! Even those who use tree stands still have safety straps. There are a LOT of hunters who have fallen out of tree stands and injured themselves.
Old December 2, 2009, 11:39 AM   #16
Lavid2002

yeah I know its not safe but im 18 years old and I do a lot of stuff thats stupider than climbing a tree lol. Ill be as safe as I can, unload, dont go too high, have a spotter(My buddy) Usa a rope to get the gun up. Ill be fine : )
Old December 3, 2009, 12:12 PM   #17
zahnzieh

If you are going to bait - i cant in my state - dont expect results right from the start. if deer are freaked out about all the human activity in the woods/gunshots they will not behave normally, They may only feed at night,if at all during gun season. You are on public land i presume, so i would place myself along a transit/escape route - these deer are going to be pushed by human activity and you can use it to your advantage, A creek bed(crossing pt), gully, bluff or other such pinch point is a good bet. Also be prepared to sit longer hours ,even in the middle of the day as deer seem to sense when we "go in for lunch" - they are the smartest,stupidest survivors I know.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Lavid2002

Just went to the spot I scouted pre-season and there are yellow posters EVERYWHERE....man I didnt know it was private property this guy went post-happy FML I went to plan B because I was thinking this might happen. I found another spot where there were 2 rubs...THEY WERE THE FIRST RUBS IVE EVER SEEN! : )

There were also 2 very old rotten deer stands within a 50 yard radius of the rubs. The stands HAD to be 4 or 5 years old. Fallikng out of the trees and stuff. I found a tree I can climb, its pretty high up there but once im in it ill be all set. The only problem is, It isnt comfortable at all. i can see myself wigglin around making noise and spooking deer. I dumped an old container of apple cider out around the ground, some home made mineral lick, and a few apples. I found a big piece of brush I can cozy into. I hope I get a deer on monday.
Old December 4, 2009, 03:25 PM   #19
andrew66

If ur gun can shoot slugs, i would recommend using them over buck shot, but its whatever u want.
As per that land, do any of the signs have contact info on them? If so, you might be able to ask for permission to hunt on that land (likely too late this year, but keep in mind for next year. pays to ask early) I think its quite common to treat the people whos land u hunt on to something (usually a bottle of booze around my parts)
Personally, I never really used any of those scent sprays. None are 100% effective, and deer's sniffers are pretty darn good. best to hunt the wind (buy an outdoors mag, they have all kinds of articles on tactics) I really stress the be quiet thing. deer have very very good hearing. And they are really good at tracking where a noise came from.
Also, learn how to gut. U may get lucky and bag one!
Good luck! please keep us updated every day.
Old December 4, 2009, 05:08 PM   #20
2rugers

Go to the spot where you have seen the deer in the past, position yourself

downwind of where they will come from, (heavy cover in the p.m., open fields

and broken terrain in the a.m.) be still, be quiet, and be patient. BLAMMO!
Old December 4, 2009, 05:50 PM   #21
kraigwy

Hard to say, where do you live, what type of ground, (open wooded mountains etc), what kind of deer, (whitetail, muleys).

Start by getting a BLM (or simular) map and find out what is private, and what is public land. Then if private seek permission well in advance.

I dont go for baiting. Its illegal here and I dont consider it fair chase.

Best advise if to find a friend who is a avid hunter, have him take you hunting.

There is more to hunting then shooting critters, do you know how to dress a deer? Or To take care of the game after its dressed to keep it from spoiling.

Man there are too many varibles to attempt to answer the question 'HOW DO I HUNT"?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 4, 2009, 08:51 PM   #22
birdshot

enjoy time in woods

i am older and have shot many deer so this may not be good advise for a new hunter, but when i go hunting i don't care if i shoot a deer. i find comfortable spot, where i can see an open area, and sit back and enjoy the woods. by being still and patient i see a variety of game and always feel blessed by God to be out in his creation.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Lavid2002

That spot was WREAKING of apple cider by the time I left, there were 2 rubs, I think somethings going to nom nom nom on my apples : ) Im so stoked! My co workers at the gun store gave me 38 shells of buckshot LOL Im going to go pattern it. I have 0, 00, 000, and 4 buck. Ill see what it shoots best : ) So excited right now!

Im going out monday ill keep you guys posted hardcore. Thanks so much for all the help. I have washed my clothes in scent proof wash and put them in a bag. I have a hack saw, knife, gloves, and a garbage bag set aside....wishfull thinking? YEAH...but I plan to go out like 5 times this year on the 6 day season, and if I dont bag a motha' imna buy my extended season permit for 28 clams and get one of these babys THEN!

P.S. I cant shoot slugs out of my gun. To be legal you need irons or a scope. i have neither and im broke....so I wont be buying them...well I have a scope but no mounts for my shotgun.

EDit: P.S. Birdshot, yeah man im getting stoked just going out there, seeing the rubs, and putting the apples out. I just love the outdoors dude If I bag a deer though....ill be so excited : )
Old December 8, 2009, 08:42 PM   #24
James R. Burke

Farmland is correct that is alot of info for a post. Safety class is a must. A rifle would be better if legal were you are at with lots of practice. The best way would be to go with someone who knows what they are doing to teach you some methods. Like finding a good spot, making a blind, wind factors etc. Just gutting a deer sounds easy, and its not to bad to do. But it would be nice to have someone walk you thru it the first time. A few mistakes doing that, and you have lots of stuff you do not want on your meat. I am not trying to cop out on you, but having a partner to show you would be the way to go. Also having a partner is a safe way to do things. Good luck, and sorry about not being much help, but do try to find someone to go with the first few times.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:48 PM   #25
andrew66

how did your hunt go?