The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
blincoln

Negative Don Hume Information FYI

Hello,

I am not one to complain about problems and inconveniences, but at the same time I do look to the internet a lot for reviews before making purchases. This is a case where I think others should be informed before considering Don Hume holsters given my expierences with them.

I decided to purchase an IWB holster from them (this one) to replace my current holster. Per their website, I contacted them to find out about stock availability. They indicated that they were 8 weeks out on production.

I did some further searching, and found the same holster through a retailer for a bit cheaper price, and thought it would be good to go through them as maybe retailers have higher priority in production queues. When I checked with them though they got a similar 8-12 week response from Don Hume.

Since this seemed to be the standard answer, I went ahead and placed my order through the retailer (since it was cheaper) and waited anxiously.

At week 8, I contacted the retailer, who in turn contacted Don Hume. Don Hume stated that they were still out of stock, and that we still had 4 weeks to go off the originally quoted timeframe. Okay, I can live with that.

At week 14, I contacted the retailer again, and they again contacted Don Hume. Don Hume replied that they would not get to the holster until at least another 9 WEEKS.

23 weeks is almost A HALF A YEAR to wait for a holster, and this is "at the earliest" Don Hume can get to it maybe... Quite a bit different than the 8 weeks I was told initially.

If you are ok having to buy a 2nd holster to defend yourself and your family while you wait for Don Hume's exceptional production rate, then feel free to order with them, but if you arent a fan of spending extra money pointlessly, I recommend looking elsewhere.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Language
Old June 8, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to feedback forum. Anyone posting in this thread should be aware of the rules pertaining hereto.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
BarryLee

I had the same problem with another manufacturer and after several calls finally got in touch with one of the managers. He basically apologized profusely and said they did a very bad job of forecasting and keeping everyone up to dated on the current lead times. He was able to move my order up in the queue, but this obviously delayed someone else’s order.

I suspect the problem with some of these outfits is they are good at making holsters, but not always good at running a business.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Tags
don hume , holsters