The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2001, 05:43 PM   #1
Blarneystone

Taurus 605 and Reloads? Where should a Newbie start?

Hi,

Why can't I DABBLE in anything? I am a curious SOB and I have to go full force on everything. First I want a gun. I study and study and get a revolver. I love the thing! But that's not good enough. I want to start reloading now. Learn EVERYTHING I can....I probably won't be satisfied until I have my own steelmill and can build my own guns! But I digress.

Anyway, the instruction manual for the Taurus 605 says shooting reloads is a NO NO! I talked to a reloading expert at the gun show yesterday who said that's BS..."just don't load them hot and you'll be okay." Makes sense to me.

Would any of you strongly advise AGAINST shooting reloads in the 605? Will I shoot my eye out?

If you think I would be okay shooting reloads, is there a good newbie kit for reloading 38s or 357s? I saw a LEE beginner kit yesterday for about $90 US. I was very tempted, but I didn't know everything I'd need.

Is it true, you won't save any money reloading?

Where is a good place for a guy like me to start?

Many thanks!!
Old August 26, 2001, 05:57 PM   #2
Blarneystone

By the way, here is the kit I was talking about...I guess I could get it online for $20 less!

http://www.midwayusa.com/online/prod...=reloading+kit
Old August 26, 2001, 07:14 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

GOOD PLACE TO START

Books.

Then, buy quality equipment like RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Dillon, Forster.
LEE Makes decent dies, and their powder funnel, case chamfer tool, and primer pocket cleaner should be on every bench.
But suggest buying sturdier press.
Old August 27, 2001, 12:12 PM   #4
JohnK

I'd generally beware of advice from "the reloading expert at the gunshow" but in this case he's correct. Most if not all of the manufacturers say not to shoot reloads in their guns, it's just a CYA clause for them.

You likely won't really save money reloading because you'll shoot a lot more. It also takes some time to recover the initial cost of investment in the equipment - how long depens on how much you shoot.

Weshoot2 is right, get some loading manuals, at least 2 so you can compare loads. If you plan on shooting cast bullets the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a great resource.

There have been many threads here about which press is better or which you should get etc etc etc, you might want to search for "Dillon" that should pick up most of them.

And lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions! Better to ask if you're unsure and be safe than risk injury.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old September 15, 2001, 12:13 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST.

Before you go hog wild buying equipment, study up. Learn from the experience and opinions of others. You don't need to re-invent the wheel. These forums are nice for that (Thankyou TFL!) but you also need to do some background reading.

f you haven't reloaded at all, Krause Publications' The ABC's of Reloading is a fine place to start. If you find one in the library or a museum or somewhere, Col. Townsend Whelen's Why Not Load Your OWN! while somewhat dated, is the most detailed discussion of every aspect of reloading. Loadbooks, at www.loadbooks.com has a series of books, each book for just one caliber, that contain data from the major bullet and powder makers, so you don't have to buy a Winchester book, and a Hornady book, etc. etc. The Loadbooks are $9.95 ppd, and you'll need the .38spl and the .357magnum volumes for the Taurus 605. Which by the way, IMHO, is a fine model.

Have fun! Make haste slowly. Remember, in reloading as in life, the trip is just as important as the destination.
Old September 15, 2001, 05:40 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

READ SPEER MANUAL

If you are not exploring the zenith of performance I can offer 1,000 medium loads to try.

But you MUST understand the basics, you MUST wear safety glasses, and you MUST NOT BE DISTRACTED while loading.

Or you can bend expensive guns LOL............

To begin handloading you start by reading.....Speer #13, LYMAN Pistol & Revolver #2, and here.
Old September 15, 2001, 06:27 AM   #7
Powderman

Good advice from all above. If I may add one thing:

If you can at all, find an experienced reloader to watch you and assist as you make your first ammunition. That way, there's someone else to assist if you get stuck.

Good luck, and good loading!
Old September 17, 2001, 10:16 AM   #8
Boo586

I started out the same way as you. My suggestion is the same as everyone else's, plus.

Read everything you can and especially listen to WESHOOT2!! He does this for a living!!

For your first reloads .38 special or .357 magnum use Alliant 2400 powder. If you use A2400 you will have a very low risk of double charging a round because you use so much powder even for minimum 38 special loads. If you double charge with A2400 you will know it because it will most likely run out of the case. Somebody please correct me if my thinking is wrong!!

This is just my advice, but it saved my gun and possible a limb/life because I had a double charge when I first began.

Welcome to the addiction!!

Boo586