The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1
TripHlx

Availability of brass?

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some information on why certain brass is harder to find. I understand that some cartdridges are pretty obscure, and thus decreased demand causes decreased availability.

My main issue is with 7.62x54r brass. I just can't seem to find any out there, except for Lapua which seems VERY pricey.

It seems to me that 7.62x54r is a common enough cartridge, especially with the growing popularity of the M-N platform. I just don't understand why availability of fresh brass is so spotty. Am I just not searching hard enough? Looking in the wrong places maybe?

Appreciate your replies in advance guys!
Old November 26, 2011, 11:43 PM   #2
chris in va

54R was primarily Berdan primed and non-reloadable, milsurp. Same with 7.62x39 and one of the reasons why I sold my AK for an AR.

Brass will be very difficult to find, at leas the reloadable Boxer type.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Orochimaru

Prvi Partisan makes 7.62x54R brass, but it is hard to find. Prvi also makes loaded ammunition, so if you can't get the brass directly, you can get some when you shoot Prvi ammo. I've seen it from 14-18 per box of 20. A lot more expensive than milsurp, but the brass is great!

The last time I saw some Prvi brass come up was on Grafs, I think. I hesitated and lost... Every time I've looked since, it has been out of stock.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:09 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Also for the 7.62x54R is the fact that so many people just buy and shoot the surplus corrosive ammo, and just clean thier rifles afterwards. It is so cheap it can be hard to find components cheaper. I know I will not be reloading for my 91-30 any time soon. 2 crates with 2 spam cans of 440 in each crate. I shoot maybe 40 rounds in 6 months time. My decendants will be shooting it up after I am gone I am sure.

Please not I have never seen brass milsurp ammo in this caliber. All that I have found have been steel case ammo which should not be reloaded due to the fact that it is not only Breaden Primed, but will scratch, and scar dies. There are some other reasons as well.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; November 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:27 AM   #5
TNT

If your willing to work and it is time consuming you can get a swagger and expand the primer pocket to accept boxer primers I got one for 30.06 cases it works well for the military surplus ammo that you find. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...263/?viewImg=1
Old November 27, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Jim243

Quote:
Same with 7.62x39 and one of the reasons why I sold my AK for an AR.

Not hard to find, just expensive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139...2x39mm-russian

Most just buy the cheap steel case ammo, I still reload for it. But an AR is not a bad idea.

Jim
Old November 28, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
frank_1947

we work in brass sales at a indoor range and have never seen that cartridge and we seperate 9 to 14 5 gallon buckets of brass a week, now they may be steel but we run a magnet through our brass and never look at them.
Old November 28, 2011, 11:39 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
we work in brass sales at a indoor range and have never seen that cartridge
Much of that is probably due to the fact that your primary (sole?) supply of brass comes from an indoor range.

I have never fired surplus ammo or steel-cased ammo in my 7.62x54R.
It has only seen boxer-primed brass cases, containing my handloads.

I use Prvi Partizan (PPU or "NNY"-cyrillic) and Sellier and Bellot (S&B) cases, as well as "Win" stamped cases. One lot of the Winchester cases was drawn by Prvi; and the other was drawn by S&B. It's decent brass. Current Winchester ammunition is using the S&B brass.

People on these forums are constantly talking about how difficult it is to locate, but several of my local shops keep the "Win" stamped primed brass in-stock. So, I don't understand the difficulty.

Find a local reloading supplier that sells S&B ammunition, and ask them to look into ordering some brass for you.
Old December 5, 2011, 08:12 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Did you manage to source any brass with the information I PMed you?
Old December 7, 2011, 09:32 AM   #10
TripHlx

Aye I did! Sorry for not replying to your PM, I'm easily distracted at times.
Old December 7, 2011, 01:20 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Not a problem. Glad I could help.

I may have to go talk to that shop about commission, though...

I've sent 7 or 8 people there, for "mail-order" 7.62x54R brass.