The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 02:09 AM   #1
rock0

Remington 870, 1950 Value?

I was digging around my gun closet and came across my granfather's old 870. By serial # matching I found that it was made in 1950 and is the standard model. It is in good condition, 1 scratch on the left ejector rod. I have heard that a 5 number serial is important. What is this gun worth?

I haven't shot the gun because it has a full choke barrel. Hard to do with skeet. I know, "If I really want a challenge" ...
Old March 7, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

As an heirloom it's priceless. As a used 870, I don't know that it's worth more than any other used Wingmaster in similar condition. As a first year of production gun it might be a bit of a novelty but I don't know if that affects prices, or how much.

Your grandfather was an early adaptor, though!

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 7, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Field grade 870s of very early vintage have little collector value even in near new condition. The upscale versions do have some.

There's a 5 digit 870 here. It's rather modified from original and it's been mine since 1959. The nigh new 1955 870 here I call Number Six may have a bit more value, but as a 2 3/4" only gun I was able to get it for $178 out the door about 5 years back.

That one came with a 30" Fuller choke goose barrel. I've installed a new LC barrel with tubes and done some stock adjustment. It's a shooter.

Treasure your heritage 870. Get a new barrel and go shooting.....
Old March 7, 2010, 07:13 PM   #4
rock0

Thanks Guys,

Just wondering about the value. Never sat down and actually thought about the heritage bit. Won a few trap matches with it when I was in highschool.

Rock0