The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 24, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Lavan

Would you buy a pistol based SOLELY on its trigger pull?

Used gun. 1911. One of Colt's newer chintzier products with the cheapy roll on logo.
Not pretty at all.

But the TRIGGER!!! Oh my.

It is as good as ANY I've ever felt. FAR better than my Gold Cup Series 70.
As good as any custom I've felt also.

I mean it just has that smooth, crisp (jeez, not even crisp...more like NOTHING)and then it drops the sear.

BEST trigger in a 1911 that could exist.

BUT..... used gun. Why traded so soon? No bells and whistles. Pure utility.
Fixed sights.
Complete blah looks.

But the TRIGGER!!!

So, would you?

My ..experience... has been that the trigger is MY most critical element in shooting almost anything.

But there's bushing, who knows how the lugs fit?

Aw hell..

Just tell me whether you'd give it a go.

Thanks.
Old July 24, 2015, 09:58 AM   #2
lee n. field

I might.

Perception of trigger quality is very individual. There are folks out there that think Glocks have good triggers.

Perception of trigger quality varies, depending on if you're sitting there dry firing slowly, or actually out there shooting. For example, when I''m actually shooting, there's so much else going on that I don't even notice the aforementioned Glock's spongy "kid's plastic spacegun" trigger. When I'm sitting there slowly dry firing my XD, I can perceive 4 distinct stages. When I'm shooting, I perceive it as one crisp click.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 24, 2015, 10:24 AM   #3
dyl

For me it depends on

History - if you can believe what the store says/knows. If that was from the factory, it's a plus. If the gun was "worked on" by Lord knows who, we don't know if it's sustainable. Anyone could take the engagement down pretty far and have a pretty weak sear angle. If they've filed through the hardened surfaces, the sear angles may not last long. Treading the line carefully would be a good smith's job.

Price - good deal? maybe you can afford to satisfy your curiosity and figure out why the trigger is so good. You did after all ask to handle it, so I'm guessing it's not an issue. I've seen some stores try sell a used firearm for almost as much as brand new.

Check it out - if you can afford to get it, just make sure it passes the safety tests, bring a snap cap. If they won't let you field strip it, it would be a no go for me. If it fails, you'd be out of that nice trigger *and* have to buy a couple new parts. Of course, if they have a good return policy that would be a plus too.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Lavan

Pretty much an "as-is" situation.

I'll take a mop to clean the bore so I can see that better.

Will also lock it back and use the slide release to slam the slide while holding the trigger back.

Also will HEAVE on the trigger with safety on.

Bout all I can think of to check the sear setup from the outside.

It's a take-a-chancer, but not my first one.

It seems as tight as one should be.

I....MAY... be able to persuade a field strip but not sure.
Old July 24, 2015, 11:18 AM   #5
DA/SA Fan

Depends TOTALLY on the price. A trigger that is your idea of perfection is great but you can make any 1911 trigger that good.....for a price.
Old July 24, 2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Carmady

For me, the main three things I look for in a handgun are, grips, trigger, and sights.

I'd guess that since you tested the trigger, you also had a chance to hold it and look at the sights.

If I liked all three, without firing it, I'd probably chance it if the price was nice.
Old July 24, 2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Boncrayon

The trigger pull is an important amenity, but not the whole consideration for purchace. Is it going to be used as a protection firearm, or a general use for targeting? What caliber is your interest?...quick knock-down and bull's eye...or thrifty ammo usage?

I too was interested in my first 1911, with a budget under $1,000. I looked at many models and settled on one that met well under my budget, yet had a "$1,000 trigger." Found it in the Magnum Research Desert Eagle (manufatured in Israel). Hands down, it gave me all the amenities and an awesome trigger. Colt has some that cost more and has their brand stamp, as does Remington and Kimber...and others, but the Desert Eagle gives more for less, with great looks, and dead-on accuracy typical of most 1911s. I added Meprolite constant glow sights (also made in Israel) that can continue to glow up to 15 years in a closet...though it should not be stored that long in a closet.
Old July 24, 2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Lavan

Looked closer. Not allowable to remove slide.
Bore all cruddy and I brought my mop but it would take a wire brush.
Decided to wait and find one either new or one I can LOOK into.

No way to see lugs or ...really...even close look at ramp but it looked OK from top.

Too many things to worry about and then hafta wait 10 days to even SEE if it works OK.

Naaah... I'll wait.
Old July 24, 2015, 04:47 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Make sure that the "bargain price" of a gun with a "great" trigger pull allows for a new hammer and sear/trigger. You might need them.

Jiim
Old July 24, 2015, 05:06 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Can't inspect closely? PAASSSS!
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 24, 2015, 05:19 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
Smart move. Sounds like somethings up.

Id offer $100 less, just because its dirty, and let them know thats the reason.

Ive never understood not cleaning your gun anyway, but to take it to a shop, and try and sell it looking like that (assuming its on consignment, if the shops selling it, thats even worse), makes me wonder even more.

Why you cant see the gun field stripped is another issue. Why not? If they dont want you doing it, then they should. Do they want to sell the gun or not?

As far as the trigger, Im not trigger phobic, I shoot them all, and unless theres something really wrong with it, I really dont give it a thought while shooting it. Triggers that are to light to me, are worse than heavy, and it always makes you wonder why its so light, and how it got that way. Most factory triggers are pretty good, right out of the box.
Old July 24, 2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Lavan

STAGEY triggers throw me off.
Too much bullseye stuff in my yoot.

Heavy or light, I can manage. Just not creeeaaaakk...skriittcch....slide...slip....tug... snick.

Old July 24, 2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Lavan

Quote:
Make sure that the "bargain price" of a gun with a "great" trigger pull allows for a new hammer and sear/trigger. You might need them.

Yup. It DID pass my slam slide with trigger pulled and I couldn't make the safety fail.

Honestly they do NOT care if they sell anything either.

I'm not sure THEY would know how to field strip it. Welll not really, but sure no interest in doing it.
They are very busy but I can't see how they would BUY a 1911 without looking in and at LEAST runnin brass brush down it.

Not unhappy that I didn't get it.

I'll find one I can try. The price is only about 70 bucks less than new.
Be DUMB to do it.

I can find problems all over the landscape without buying some.
Old July 24, 2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Lavan

But....

I.....

did....

get....

sumpin ....

NEATO!

Don't wanna jinx it til I pick it up though so can't tellya.

pant pant pant.

(only HINT I can drop is that there are times when knowing more than the gun shop can be....GOOOODDDD!!!! )
Old July 24, 2015, 06:12 PM   #15
Sharkbite

If a store that is selling a used gun with " Custom " work done, wont let you even field strip it to check on some of the issue areas....id pass
Old July 24, 2015, 10:01 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan
Used gun. 1911. One of Colt's newer chintzier products with the cheapy roll on logo.
Not pretty at all.
There are no newer Colts that have a "cheapy" rollmark, and ALL Colt's rollmarks are rolled on -- that's why they are called "rollmarks."

Quote:
But the TRIGGER!!! Oh my.

It is as good as ANY I've ever felt. FAR better than my Gold Cup Series 70.
As good as any custom I've felt also.

I mean it just has that smooth, crisp (jeez, not even crisp...more like NOTHING)and then it drops the sear.

BEST trigger in a 1911 that could exist.
Good.

Quote:
BUT..... used gun. Why traded so soon?
What's your idea of "soon"? If it's an M1991A1, the entry level guns with the ugly rollmarks, it's at LEAST ten years old, and probably closer to fifteen or twenty.

Quote:
No bells and whistles. Pure utility.
Fixed sights.
Complete blah looks.

But the TRIGGER!!!

So, would you?
Probably. But ... you left out two important bits of information: (1) What model is it, and (2) What's the asking price?

Quote:
My ..experience... has been that the trigger is MY most critical element in shooting almost anything.

But there's bushing, who knows how the lugs fit?
Field strip it in the shop and look at the lugs. If they aren't rounded off, they fit just fine. Barrel to bushing fit isn't really all that critical, and Colt fits them as well as necessary.

Quote:
Aw hell..

Just tell me whether you'd give it a go.
Dunno -- what model is it, what condition is it, and what's the price?
Old July 25, 2015, 07:40 AM   #17
Mobuck

I would NOT BUY a handgun based on it's trigger action. By this I mean a bad trigger would be a deal breaker.
Old July 25, 2015, 09:57 AM   #18
serf 'rett

Buy on trigger pull alone...? Nope.

I have liked quite a number of 1911 triggers, yet I've not bought a 1911 to date.

Knowledge is power. Assuming you will report the rest of the story in a few days.
Old July 25, 2015, 11:35 AM   #19
Model12Win

While it's a well known fast that Colt hasn't made a good 1911 in decades, it's obviously you really want this.

I would look for an older Series 70 or Government Model if I were you, but if you want the new cheap stuff than that's okay I guess. Whatever floats your boat.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:04 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I did, once. One of the best choices I ever made, too. It was a T/C Contender.

After decades of ignoring them, because they were "only" a single shot, I finally picked one up and was checking it out, and the trigger was SWEET. At that moment, I realized I had wasted 30+ YEARS.

I now have a couple of frames and around a dozen barrels. If you are looking for a handgun that will show you, in no uncertain terms if you can shoot, the Contender is it.

And by "shoot" I don't mean being able to put a half dozen rounds in a hand size group at 7 yds in 5 seconds or less, I mean being able to precisely put a single round right where you want it, at any distance your skill allows.

I have won accuracy bets with my 9mm Contender. Of course, I don't tell them its a Contender up front. Just the simple, I bet I can shoot a tighter group with my 9mm than you can with yours...

To date, I've never lost. Yep, they are FASTER, but not as accurate.

Quote:
Why you cant see the gun field stripped is another issue. Why not? If they dont want you doing it, then they should.
One reason some shops don't allow field stripping is the potential for damage to the gun (finish, primarily.) Not everything comes apart and goes back together simply and easily.

It even makes some sense, after all, what shop is going to accept you putting an "idiot scratch" on a high dollar gun??? OR, even a low dollar one? And their counter people might not be any better.
Old July 25, 2015, 12:10 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
While it's a well known fast that Colt hasn't made a good 1911 in decades,
Huh? That was a joke, right?

It's a well known opinion among people who know 1911s that Colt in recent years has been building the best guns they've ever made, and easily as good as anything other that custom and semi-custom pistols.
Old July 25, 2015, 07:15 PM   #22
Lavan

Quote:
you left out two important bits of information: (1) What model is it, and (2) What's the asking price?
Gummint model bare bones 1991 as currently available NEW for 739 and the price was 699.95.

(this is a NEW interest and I was going on the stupid asking prices I have seen PRIOR to finding a place that will sell one for 739.....so NO... I would not get "used" to save 40 bucks.)

ONLY the trigger persuaded me to look closer.

It even had the chintzy rubber grips.

I'll find one new or get one from the $739 place...
but IT has to be ORDERED.

I wanna SEE it before committing.
Old July 25, 2015, 08:36 PM   #23
4040peters

I bought a Beretta with a horrible trigger pull and unpredictable let off. I did this knowing that it could be easily improved with an all metal trigger, different springs, and a little polishing. So, no I wouldn't buy solely on great trigger pull. I might even walk away from a firearm that could not be tuned in some way.
Old July 25, 2015, 08:39 PM   #24
jad0110

No.

The trigger is just one piece of the larger puzzle.

I've bought guns with lousy triggers because I liked the rest of the package, namely both of my 1911s and a FEG HiPower, figuring I could have the actions smoothed up later.
Old July 25, 2015, 09:11 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan
Gummint model bare bones 1991 as currently available NEW for 739 and the price was 699.95.

It even had the chintzy rubber grips.
So you are NOT looking at a new (or even nearly new) 1991. The "1991" series Colts have double diamond wood grips. The "chintzy" rubber grips were used on the previous, M1991A1, series pistols, which were produced from 1991 to 2000.