The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 22, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
taylorce1

Best bang for the buck!

This question was posted on another forum and since I like gun stuff I thought I’d bring it over here. So what was your best “bang for the buck” rifle that you bought?

I’m going to rank my top buys!

#5 Pre 64 FWT custom rifle that I found in a pawn shop chambered in .280 Rem with a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8X36 scope all bedded in a Brown Precision stock. I didn’t own this one but for a few days, as I passed the deal on to my Buddy by selling it to him for his youngest boy’s (in picture) first elk rifle. $625 out the door and sold it to my buddy for $325 minus the scope.

#4 Savage Anschutz .22 LR with Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 AO scope, price $560 out the door. Another pawn shop find, it pays to keep in good standing with the local pawn brokers. Awesome little shooter even with bulk pack ammunition.

#3 Universal M1 Carbine purchased FTF but found right here on TFL for $200. I have about $340 invested in it so far with the drive to Pueblo to pick it up and a few magazines I bought for it, plus I had to fix the rear sight and have the barrel recrowned. Took it out the other day and it functions flawlessly easily ringing a 8" gong at 100 yards off hand. Minor repairs don’t bother me and the price was right to get a rifle on the ban list.

#2 Back to the pawn shop again a sporterized 1896 Springfield Krag. Just something real cool about these old rifles, and the $300 I got it for wasn’t a bad price either. Smoothest functioning rifle I own, and pretty accurate as well.

#1 1917 Enfield made by Winchester converted to .300 H&H. I paid $99 plus tax to get this rifle from a LGS at $99 I didn’t even bother to haggle. The scope wasn't on it when I bought it, just didn't take a pic before I had it mounted.

After I spent about $800 more it finished out looking like this. I never shot it until I finished the sporter job on it but it holds MOA on most days if I do my part and it is a cool old cartridge to play with.

Last edited by Spats McGee; February 24, 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Removing profanity
Old February 22, 2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Metal god

I've not only seen the other post like this here @ TFL I posted in it . So I'll do it again .

I built this AR :
PSA lower , Del-Ton upper , Heavy barrel chrome lined 1-7 twist , YHM Todd Jerret free float rail , Magpul CTR stock & sights , Hogue grip , Mako magwell grip , Double rail gas block , bi-pod , UTG Red-dot . Total cost $1,030.00

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
taylorce1

Nice EBR!
Old February 23, 2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Mavic19

If we're talking best bang for buck, I'd have to say my Ruger American...hands down.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #5
hooligan1

delete
Old February 24, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
jmr40

Long story. About 10 years ago I bought a Commander length Colt 1911 off a guy who needed money for $250. Three years ago I ran across a used Winchester 70 EW in 308 for $700 OTD in a gunshop about an hour from home. I gave the guy $100 to hold it for a week.

I had several better 1911's so I took my $250 gun to a LGS to be put on consignment. I didn't get home before the gusnhop called me to come pick up my $600 which I used to pay off the Winchester. So far I have $350 in a $1,000 gun.

I had $200 in Cabelas bucks which I combined with a $75 off coupon to pay $125 for a $400 Leupold scope.

I hunted with it in the factory stock for 1 year until I ran across a used McMillan Edge stock in the classifieds of another gun forum for $400. I bought the stock, then sold the factory stock for $200. A McMillan Edge is just under $600 new.

I have $350 in the rifle, $165 in the scope and mounts and $200 in the stock. Just over $700 out of pocket for the package. It weighs just over 7 1/4 lbs as it sets and shoots great.

Old February 24, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7

Best bang for the buck

Thompson Encore! Muzzle loader, centerfire rifle, or shotgun (slug or bird barrel) it does it all. I have a SS 280 Rem and a SS 50 cal muzzle loader barrel so far. Once you have the stock and action, it's about $300.00 per barrel and the scope would be a wash. I am looking at a 12 or 20 guage rifled slug barrel and/or a 44 Rem mag to round out my collection

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:41 AM   #8
2ndtimer

Back in the early 80"s, the local Sunset Sports (now Big 5) had a "Moonlight Madness Sale". All green tag clearance items 50% off lowest price. They had a brand new Winchester Model 70 Lightweight Carbine with a nice walnut stock chambered for 30-06 Springfield marked with a green tag for $289.95. I asked them if it qualified for the 50% Moonlight Madness sale and they said yes. Oh, and there was also a $40 mail in rebate available. So although the 30-06 was not my first choice of cartridge, I couldn't pass up a brand new Model 70 Winchester Lightweight carbine for $115 after rebate. Still the best bang for the buck deal I have ever come across.
Added a Leupold vari-Xii 2-7 scope in Weaver rings and bases for about $140, IIRC. Made a very nice, light hunting rig.
I did take my first ever buck with the rifle, but still never warmed to the 30-06, and sold it a few years down the road for $400, I believe.