The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 12, 2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Springer 1911 Loaded Having FTF Issues

Here's the original review:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466370

I took it to the range for the first time after getting it back from springfield with Aguila 230gr FMJs, Federal 230gr FMJs, Fiocchi 230gr JHPs, 2 Wilson ETM mags, 2 Chip McCormick powermags, 1 7 round factory mag, and 1 10 round springfield mag to run it and see how would do. Well, terrible to say the least.

No combination of magazine or ammo would get the first round to feed. With every mag, the first round got hung up on the feed ramp (see pics). I downloaded the mags to only having 3 or 4 rounds to see if that was the issue--nope. I got one mag to feed with 3 rounds in it and when firing it felt extremely sluggish.

Nothing has changed (ammo/mags) since the first time I took it out when it ran 100% with 150 rounds except that I sent it back to springfield for the trigger and safety to be fixed.

My first thought was that I should just polish the feed ramp but that wasn't an issue before so I don't want to mess with it if that may not be the issue...

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Old November 12, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
PeterTitan

This may help

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...r-reliability/
Old November 12, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Hate to say it, but I'd call Springfield first thing on Monday. It fed fine before they fixed the other issues so I'd talk to them and see what they suggest.
Old November 12, 2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

That's a great article, thanks.

I plan on calling them for sure.
Old November 12, 2011, 07:45 PM   #5
bacardisteve

Are you using the slide release to send the slide forward or are you you pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go?
Old November 12, 2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

I tried both with no luck.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:59 PM   #7
44 Deerslayer

My stainless SA Mil-Spec worked fine for 100 rounds out of the box. I took it home, cleaned it and put it away.

A couple of weeks later, I tried to shoot it again. I say tried because it hung up on the first round exactly like yours. I was shooting several other 1911's the same day so I tried 8 different magazines and they all failed to feed the first round.

Looking at the ramp with a magnifier I saw some pretty deep machine marks so I polished the ramp with 600 grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. The marks are still there but I can't catch the edge of an empty cartridge on them any more.

Took it out again and it worked fine! It's been feeding fine ever since.
Old November 13, 2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

I'll likely be polishing it up this week and trying again on Saturday (my range is only open on Saturdays...) I always polish my low end 1911s (RIAs, Auto Ordinance, ect...) but usually leave the better ones alone since they generally work fine out of the box but it looks like I'll be breaking my pencil and sandpaper out on this one too...
Old November 13, 2011, 10:10 PM   #9
ep2621

Does it do it if you push up on the bottom of the mag while releasing the slide?
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old November 13, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
KyJim

I would call Springfield again. Since it fed fine before sending it to them and now doesn't, it would seem something has changed. From the pics, it looks to me like the bullet in that round might be set back just a bit but since you tried various types of FMJ, I would suspect the gun.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Ambishot

Have the exact same gun and had similar problems while breaking it in. I had multiple FTF on gold dots. Winchester White box round ball feeds fine, but every once in a while a round will still get hung up when shooting federal round nose or other HP's. I'd recommend polishing the feed ramp and throating the barrel as the article pointed out.

One defense load that fed well was Hornady's XTP.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Mrgunsngear

The bullet is set back in the pic, you are correct. They were all getting set back when hung up which also led me to believe the spring is okay. Thanks again for the replies.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:17 AM   #13
DBLAction454

Thats very disappointing. My buddy has a loaded Springer and the only time hes had feed issues was with UMC ammo from remington. Other than that it feeds fine...

I would call Springfield since it only had feed issues after you sent it in...

Hope it all gets worked out. Hate to see a nice .45 malfunction

Good luck! let us know what happens
Old November 14, 2011, 11:32 AM   #14
drail

I don't know how many times those rounds were slammed into the feed ramp before they started setting back but that is unacceptable quality from any ammo manufacturer. If the case neck tension is sufficient they should not set back like that. This seems to be very common with today's factory ammo. (just one more reason that I only shoot my own handloads). Any time you see this do not attempt to fire those rounds. In .45 ACP it's not quite as dangerous as with other calibers that run at a much higher pressure but it's still unacceptable and can cause really bad things to happen. As to your gun it most definitely has a problem and needs to go back to Springfield. They will find the problem and correct it. It doesn't need "breaking in". It has a problem with the breechface, extractor or feed ramp. Don't attempt to "fix it yourself" by polishing the feed ramp. No one can accurately diagnose things like this over an internet forum no matter how much they wish to help out or how much they "think" they know about 1911s. Please send it back.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:52 PM   #15
Rugerismisticness

I agree, send this one back or try to use a snapcap. If a snapcap fails, then nothing will ever work and you may as well send it back.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

Update...

I got it back from Springfield today. As you can see, they replaced the extractor and did some polishing. I'll take it out on Saturday and see if we're good to go! Fingers crossed...
Old December 6, 2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I got it back from Springfield today. As you can see, they replaced the extractor and did some polishing. I'll take it out on Saturday and see if we're good to go! Fingers crossed...
Good luck. Hope they got your fixed up and let us know how it runs.