The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 1, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
dano599

Winchester Model 97 shotgun problem:

Hi all, I'm new here, but have been on here reading for awhile now. I've got the old takedown model built in 1904 and have everythng stripped on it except the wood off the action slide bar. anyone here know how to get the forend cap off this model ? This is a great old shotgun, but the wood and metal need refinished. I still use this gun (about 45 years now) so don't care about taking any value away from it by refinishing it . Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks , dano599
Old January 1, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You need a special spanner wrench to take the cap off the action slide, then the wood just pulls off. Check Brownells for the wrench; IIRC, it is the same as for the Model 12.

That sounds easy, but many of those old guns have the cap rusted on and the whole thing bound up by rust and dirt and old oil. The wood is probably very brittle, so be extra careful. (If something does happen, Gun Parts Corp. shows the handle in the catalog for $40 or so.)

Jim
Old January 2, 2011, 12:12 AM   #3
dano599

Hey thanks Jim, I'll send off for the wrench, and try it out with your advice, maybe put a little cleaner or penetrant on it first . dano599