The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2002, 03:21 AM   #1
RomaRana

Parker Hale sight help

This is for the enfield mark 4 number 2
I am having problems putting on my new sight It is the same one that has been for sale from sarco and other places. I drilled the hole the detent ball as well as opening up the screw hole. But I dont understand how the windage on this sight will work. When I screw in the windage nut and the windage screw they dont move the sight at all. Some times the detent gets stuck in the space cut in the windage knob. It is strange also that the windage nut goes on first then the windage knob. But the knob does not maintain any tension on the nut. so if say screw in the knob that willmake the nut go down but If I screw the knob out it the nut does not move with it.
Old August 4, 2002, 08:43 PM   #2
nemesis

Look, I gotta tell ya; I've done a lot of work of Enfields but I can't follow what you mean.

I figure you mean a Number 4, Mark 2 (British) and I am familiar with some of the aftermarket sight mods but after that, I'm lost.

Try again, and, if I can help, I will.
Old August 6, 2002, 08:17 AM   #3
Mk VII

this sight is intended for the L81A1 cadet rifle, a modified Mauser 98-type action investment cast in Spain for P-H. A piece of penny-pinching by the MoD meant that modified No.4 sights were fitted.
The new elevation scale is on the left side of the leaf and is supposed to be read in conjunction with the existing cursor on the slide. Few people realised this and we had endless trouble with cadets trying to use the old .303 one on the face. In some examples the milled elevating head was centre-punched to double the existing number of clicks per revolution. There seems not to have been any special selection of sights used for this conversion as they exhibit all the backlash and lost motion of the average military one.
The attached picture shows a face-on view, including the original base which is riveted on top of the action.
Turning the windage screw shifts the whole sight over 1/2 min. Obviously this cannot happen on the No.4 action as there is nowhere for it to go. Notice also that the bottom of the leaf is slightly relieved for the six-hole eyepiece (missing here) and that the barrel nut is centre-puched to tighten it up.
Most of the private school cadet corps were wealthy enough to throw this abortion away and fit commercial sights but the public cadet corps were stuck with it. Evidently Sarco bought up the stock when Parker-Hale went belly-up a year or two back. they cannot be made to function satisfactorily on No.4 rifles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery sight.jpg (20.4 KB, 34 views)
Old August 6, 2002, 08:50 PM   #4
nemesis

I learned to shoot on Mk VII' s. Would love to have one today. Unfortunately, seem to remember consistently slicing my thumb on extractor when rounds didn't extract properly.

Damned good rifle.
Old August 9, 2002, 03:23 AM   #5
RomaRana

Son of a bitch so I drilled my gun for no good reason at all. And I spent 40$ in the process. Now I have to find a new sight. DAMN DAMN DAMN!! What sight do you suggest I get?