The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2001, 02:00 AM   #1
Lennyjoe

Gun safes

Im in the market for a good quality gun safe. Unfortunatly Im not a rich man due to being in the military for one and raising 3 teenagers. Would like to have a combo safe instead of a key type entry. Anyone got a good lead on some quality safes at a reasonable price. Say below $600.
Old December 30, 2001, 09:46 AM   #2
hksigwalther

It wasn't until a couple months ago that I happened onto some display models of Sentry's gun safes. These are a big step above the thin gage locker types like Homak and Stack-On but are not quite as big and heavy as the regular heavy duty safes like Liberty, Browning, Remington, etc. They seem to be well built with recessed doors and locking lugs like the big safes but are much smaller. The ones I saw were up to ~300#, fireproofed (resistant), hidden hinges, and had the options of dial or keypad combination locks as well as single or star handles. They were selling $300-$400 for the the 10 and 14 (long) gun sizes. They do include hardware for bolting down to the floor and walls.

Personally, I think these would be great safes for apartments and/or for people who do a lot of moving around as the 300# isn't too bad to wield around as compared to the 500-2000# big safes. I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my apartment. (I have two other Browning safes at my parents house. They are way too big and heavy to move to my apartment.)

http://www.sentrysafe.com/guns.cfm?
Old December 30, 2001, 01:25 PM   #3
bastiat

Ditto on the sentry safe. If you have a home depot by you, they may carry them. Saw the 14 gun safe there for $275. 14 long guns would be stretching it a bit, but you probably could do 10 or 11 in the 14 gun safe, depending on type of guns.

The steel is much thicker than the cheap homak type safes you see at sporting goods stores. You can bolt it to the floor or the wall (or if you're creative, you can do both).
Old December 30, 2001, 02:27 PM   #4
Lennyjoe

bastait, thanks man, I didnt even think about checking out home depot. Will give them a look in the A.M.

I have seen sentry safes once before. I will definitely give them a look. I do want something stronger then the gun locker type deal.