The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Sphawley

Colt 1911 Value

I've always been more of a long gun guy so I am somewhat uneducated in this area and hopefully someone can help me out here.

I have a friend looking to sell a A WWI Colt 1911 passed down through the family from her grandfather. The family says this weapon was issued to him during WWI from the US army. There are no serial numbers on this weapon so it makes identification a little tougher. Assuming this weapon is in good condition whats a fair price for a weapon like this?

Is there anyway to verify this is actually US army issue 1911?
Old January 8, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
lamarw

Unfortunately, the pistol is worth the sum of some of the parts. You have a serious problem if the serial number is missing. The way I understand it, the old workhorse maybe illegal if in fact the serial number has been removed.

You do need to take this very seriousely to keep from having the weapon confiscated and possible legal implications.

I hope I have misunderstood the situation and there is a serial number on the right side of the receiver.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Buzzcook

The serial number should be on the right side frame, just above the trigger.

If the gun is old and well used the SN might be hard to read. Rub some talc or chalk over the area and wipe with a slightly damp cloth. That should help you see what's there.

If the gun truly has no SN, then your friend will have problems selling the gun.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Smit

Honestly, I would try to convince your friend to keep the pistol. The sentimental value alone would keep me from ever selling anything like this.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Lamarw is correct. Federal law and the laws of many states make it a felony to possess a firearm with the serial number altered, removed, or obscured. Sadly, even though the removal was probably done generations ago and before it was illegal, it is illegal today to even possess that firearm. THAT PISTOL IS TOXIC.

The BATFE used to have a program for issuing new serial numbers for such old, collectable firearms. I have a friend who is a police officer and a Colt collector. In the past, he has helped people work with the BATFE to obtain new serial numbers.

About a year ago, he told me the BATFE stopped being helpful on this and that they won't do it any more. What they told him seems to have spooked him enough that he now says he doesn't even want to talk to people who have such pistols.

Your friend should disassemble the pistol, sell the individual parts for whatever she can get for them, and throw the receiver off a boat in the middle of a lake somewhere.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
lamarw

Thanks Aquilla Blanca for stating what I was a little leary of getting into with my initial response.

All is not lost since there can be significant value to many of the parts. I have sold a nice Colt slide of this era for over $400.00. The barrel might be valueable dependent upon the markings such as an HP intertwined marking on it. I have seen some of the original two tone magazines sell for well over a hundred.

The receiver with the serial number removed/altered could be worth jail time and a stiff fine. I am not an expert in this area (Thank God).