The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
chewie146

Skunked Again--Tips?

Well, it's year 5 with no elk. Apparently even my great hunter of a father even went 5 years once without an elk. I think it might have been after the Irish Elk went extinct, but I'm not sure about that one. I think I'm gonna go after the coyotes mercilessly this year. I've got a fancy new (not really fancy) decoy coming for Christmas. I'm hoping to connect with some using my new toys. I'm not into custom calls or anything yet, but I've got a couple plastic calls of various makes and have connected on a big female this year. My dad got the bull of his life, this year, though, so life is good.

So here's to the "Tips?" part of the title. Any yote tips out there? I'm fairly new at this still. It seems simplistic to me to use just decoys, howlers, and rabbit squealers to get them in, but is that really all it takes other than practice and persistence? I understand it's not easy, but I'd like to have some success on something this year. After the fire, even squirrels around here were quite a bust this year. Rabbits and yotes are what I have left.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:56 AM   #2
big al hunter

Use a howler in the pre-dawn to locate one, or more. Then set up with the wind in your favor. Put the decoys far enough away from you to keep the coyotes attention away from you, but close enough to make the sound seem like it came from the decoy.

Take a 12 ga shotgun with #4 buck for up close, multiple dogs at one time. And your rifle for the one that hangs up at 200.

Keep an eye toward your downwind, that is the most likely direction they will come from.

Good camo and something behind you to help you hide. Try not to set up at the top of a hill, get 10 yards downhill to prevent your silhouette on the skyline.

Don't forget to aim.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Saskhunter

Yeah, the first rule of coyote hunting is to hunt where there are coyotes.

We call coyotes that have been called before and not killed "educated" coyotes. If yours are educated, and hunting pressure will educate many for sure, they will be very hard to call. You may have to try something "different" to get their curiosity aroused. That is a very wide topic, so I will stick to generalities we use as SOP.

If they know you are there, they will not come. No skylining; no walking across open areas if possible; stick to edges; use depressions; do not be easily visible from far away at any time.

No noise. You are going to call an animal with a sound, so don't make any noises that sound like coyote hunters. No talking; no slamming truck doors; no noise you can avoid; approaching the area while keeping a ridge between you and the area masks sound well.

Control your scent plume so it does not enter the area you intend to call to. We do not use any scent masking soaps, sprays, clothing, or whatever, because we believe they are useless and the only way to avoid a coyote's nose is to not let him smell you. One exception is we will often deliberately allow our scent into an open area down wind. Often coyotes will circle down wind to get a smell of what's making the noise. If the open area is large enough, they must expose themselves to do so. Often, in that moment they get your scent, they will stop to think it over for a few seconds. THAT is a good time to shoot, because they will likely leave after they decide what you are.

Break up your outline somehow. Brush in front (as long as you have a shooting lane) or behind you will do that. Do not move around any more than you must. We like to hunt in pairs. One guy gets fairly hidden, sometimes giving up long range vision, and does the calling. The other sets up to cover the approaches from an angle that allows him to see well, but the animal will be looking somewhere else. Decoys can work for this distraction too, if you are alone.

We use mouth calls exclusively. We walk lots and we hate carrying crap. That's the only reason to avoid the electronics that we can think of; that and the cost, and cold batteries. We have howlers, but use them mostly for "location" calls and then move in and use "dying prey" type calls. We believe only dominant animals will really approach a stranger in their territory, so howlers are less productive than prey type calls. We want the insecure ones too.

Call "softly" the first time in case they are close; you don't want to scare them. We call for 30 seconds to a minute and then sit for 5 and watch. The next set of calls can be louder. Watch very, very carefully. Binoculars are a real help, even in the bush. You cannot pay too much attention. Around here, if you see a magpie coming to the call, pay close attention to that direction. Coyotes and magpies hang out a lot together. Pay attention to the really unexpected directions too. Make head movements slow and steady rather than quick glances. Move nothing more than you have to.

The length of time we call a particular set up depends on how long we think a coyote would take to come from the farthest ranges we think the call is reaching. Wind knocks down calls really quickly, so your range is short. Calling from a ridge on a calm evening will reach a long way. Experience is likely the only teacher here. We have had coyotes over half an hour into the set, but most of the time 15 minutes will tell you what you need to know. Be very careful once you decide the set is done. Stand up slowly and have a long look around. The new angle will reveal all those coyotes you called but have not yet seen (and there will be a depressingly large number of them). You may get a shot if you don't create too much of a spectacle so that the dog has to figure out what the H*** just moved. But chances will not last long.

If you are going to just move and try again, don't talk, don't make noise, don't expose yourselves any more than you must. They may be watching. We move far enough to enter a "new" area that we think holds animals that have no heard us. In a big wind that may not be far; on a calm day that may be half a mile or more. We avoid calling the same area more than a couple of times a winter. Educated coyotes and all that.

Shooting sticks or tripods are essential. We use .22-250s or .243 and one 6mm Rem as dedicated coyote rifles. Coyotes are, pound for pound, a very tough animal. They are also small targets. You need to be able to shoot well, and shoot quickly at times with some honest power too. Multiples get really interesting. We agree before hand about left side/right side etc. and who will shoot first.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
langenc

Go to FNTPOST. com and get a couple coyote hunting dvds and run them several times each and then go hunting.

Movement will get you busted every time. Doint slam the truck door or talk.. set up signals w/ partner with as little movement as possible.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
chewie146

Thanks for all the help on that. I've gotten one this year, but she may have just been very dumb. Haha, those are ok too, though. By calling the same area more than 2x a winter, do you mean that half-mile radius, or are you talking major relocations?
Old December 3, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Saskhunter

Quote:
By calling the same area more than 2x a winter, do you mean that half-mile radius, or are you talking major relocations?
We try to avoid calling the same coyotes more than twice a winter, so we mean not using the same coyotes' territory too often. That can mean several miles away, since females can have several square miles as a home, and males may have larger territories.

We do have the luxury of a very large area in which we are free to hunt. That makes it easier to be more of a coyote killer rather than a coyote teacher.

We will hit an area we know holds coyotes and hunt it hard for a full day with several set ups, and then go away for a couple of months unless a farmer has specifically asked us to deal with animals in his area. Then we will vary our calls, our set ups, use different times of day, bait, different decoys, anything we can think of to make our tricks seem "new" until we are sure we have the animals, or until they are onto us and won't respond any more.

But we believe it is pretty much a waste of time to call coyotes that know you are trying to call them.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #7
chewie146

How long does it take for them to become "uneducated?"
Old December 4, 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Saskhunter

Quote:
How long does it take for them to become "uneducated?"
Well, like people, some "forget" easier than others. Some will never forget.

It also depends on how desperate they may be. In long extreme cold periods, or hard winters with lots of snow, calling will be more productive because they are hungry and prone to mistakes. But content, comfortable coyotes will usually not make the same mistakes twice.