The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 17, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
indybrad

IHC M1 gerand question

My father inlaw has an M1 gerand made by IHC and it has a Marlin barrel. He's wanting to sell it and I was wondering how I could tell if it was all original parts. He said that they put Marlin barrels on them when they first made them in 1953 because the other barrels they used where crap. The thing looks like it's never been shot. He had a guy look at it and said it still had the original grease in it. I was wanting to know if the #s on the top of the bolt should match the #s on the rear of the rifle on the frame? Thanks

Last edited by indybrad; June 17, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old June 17, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Orlando

There is only one serial number on a Garand, it is on the reciever. The other numbers are lot and drawing numbers. If you post them along with the serial I can tell you if they are correct
Marlin barrels were replacement barrels and used on some early Post War Springfield Garands
I dont think they were ever used originally on IHC, so yours may be a replacement
Old June 17, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
indybrad

I'm loading them on photobucket right now. Thanks.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Orlando

I did some research and Marlin barrels were not ever installed originally on IHC's . They used LMR barrels and a few Springfield barrels
Old June 17, 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
indybrad

Old June 17, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Thermodyne

The first rifle I drilled with in 9th grade was an IHC. The first month when everyone was learning their serial number and proper nomenclature for the rifle I got a lot of [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]'s back when I sounded off.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Orlando

Thats a beautiful rifle, I would love to find a IHC like that. Its a early IHC
You need to break it down and list more parts,op rod, trigger assembly ,etc,etc. Any markings on the stock? also look on the inside of the stock in the barrel channel
Old June 17, 2009, 09:34 PM   #8
indybrad

No markings on the outside of the stock. I'm not familiar with the Garands and have never taken one apart. If there are no markings on the inside of the stock would this mean it's an aftermarket. I've taken many guns apart so I'm sure I could figure it out. Would it be a pain for a first timer, or should I find some instruction? Thanks alot for the help.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Orlando

Someone told him it still had original grese in it. How can he tell original grease from non original grease?

Without more information I would say you have a rebuilt Garand. There should be a DOD stamp (eagle with stars) on the left side of the stock unde the rear sights
Grab the rear of the trigger housing (behind the trigger) and pull it away. It will unlatch and drop out. Then simply remove the action form the stock
Old June 18, 2009, 02:20 AM   #10
moose fat

Indybrad, offer him $600, I think its worth more(?) but he's your father in law/keeping it in the family, or whatever you can afford, make payments, paint his house etc. you should buy it!

It is a good look'n rifle. There is no crud in the action, everything clean and sharp, can even see faint tool marks inside the grooves in the pic of the muzzle, no wear on the bluing or parkerizing.

For dissassembling what Orlando said, and for more;

http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp

Good instructions with pictures, the maintenance section on the right of the page.

Last edited by moose fat; June 18, 2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:42 PM   #11
indybrad

Here's some more. How much do you think he could get for it? I didn't see any markings on the stock, so It's prob an aftermarket. The barrel is nice and shiny.

Old June 18, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Orlando

If it is a aftermarket stock and if the barrel is not original and I had it and were selling it I would ask $1400.00.
You can always go down but cant go up. Its a nice looking IHC